Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Feedback. I recently bought 87 Gn in very good condition, but it needs gears. The gears look ok but are very noisy.(Had it apart, replaced bearings but left with gear set noise) Rears diffs are not my specialty. Looking at either Yukon, Motive or Strange gears for replacement. Any feedback good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
87 GN-K&N Filter,Dynomax Exhaust,160 Therm, all the rest-stock

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would see if I could locate some factory ones at a reasonable price as they are very durable.

did the wear pattern look strange?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

Gear pattern looks fine, backlash and pinion depth ok. I think the noise came when the pinion starting wearing.(kinda suprised its making noise from looking at it).

New gears are not available from GM. So trying to get the next best thing.

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would probably go with Strange as I am more familiar with them. I would ask if they are cut for strip only or both ways. (And how durable they are with regard to wear in normal driving)

I see Summit has Richmond's for $174 and a complete installation kit for $90

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

"You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info...I ordered GM gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion(They apparently can still get them from GM even though they have been d/c at dealer level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts