Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you guys think. So far all I have done is remove the stock turbo and installed the TE44, with adjustable wastgate. I need to learn how to set my boost and play with this wategate. Wastegate setting and adjustable boost valve setting is the same as it was with the stock turbo for now.

Fuel pressure is at 44 psi static, and I am running blue tops. Yet, I cant rip the tires on take off. Car pulls like crazy in 2nd and 3rd though. Scanmaster will be installed in a few days. Until then let me know what you guru's think may help me rip some tires. I want "tire shreading performance"

I also notice that my exhaust has a more powerful/louder rumble with the TE44.

Any help will be greatfully aprreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
it might have a slight more lag than a stock unit but nothing really significant.

As you did not do anything with the wastegate adjustment, Did the rod have a tenth to an 1/8" tension on it when you attatched it to the puck arm so that the puck is being held closed under tension.

Is this a TE44 or a PTE44 with the bigger exhaust housing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a PTE 44. Yes one the adjustable wastegate rod. Yes on the puck. It has a precision exhaust housing.

[This message has been edited by G-ForceII (edited August 08, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Some have reported more lag with that housing and I bypassed it when I bought a 44 for my son's T.

On the other hand, TurboDave has had outstanding results with it and reports no more lag than normal.

I can think of three possibilities at the moment.

1. Wastegate puck not centered and leaking

2. Leak under the turbo between the mounting pad and up pipe from the exhaust.

3. Mixture too rich and exhaust is too cool to spool this turbo.

I understand that you mean that the wastegate puck has tension on it. Did you buy a complete turbo with exhaust housing and wastegate or did you put your old one on the turbo? I am thinking of the puck not being quite centered and thereby leaking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not complaining about LAG. I love this turbo. Lag is very minimal and I am sure with the right tuning and maybe a higher stall converter it wont be a problem anymore. I am just looking for feed back from guys who installed this turbo. I am still running a D5. I have to play with fuel pressure and boost settings to get it right I guess. I want to burn some rubbers basically.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW it was a complete turbo with new wastegate. The stock wastegate didn't line up. The new wastegate that came with the turbo is a stock unit but it has the turbo bracket weld on to it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
well, I am a bit confused...

Is it building boost but not spinning the tires...if it is not building boost, it is suffering from lag.

Oh, well, I am sure someone will give you the answers you want.

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
You're saying you want to rip the tires...

HOW???

From a dead standstill just launching off of an idle? Mine has the stock turbo, and even when I had the 2800 RPM red stripe convertor in it, it wouldnt do that.. Once my car got five feet out into a roll.. look out though.. it spun all through first and going into second gear. I now have the stock D5 and it hooks much better and doesn't spin like before with the 2800 RPM copnvertor on street tires..
I had a TA 49 WITH the PTE ex housing on my car in 1999 for a while. This turbo was coupled with the above red stripe convertor I had in the car back then. Lag was comparable to the stock turbo and it spooled quick. BUT... I DO think that with the TA 49 and stock convertor.. lag would have been a tad more than the stock turbo and convertor combo so..

What is your boost doing in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears? is it lower in 1st, than in the other gears? My car screeched the tires pretty good once it got rolling.. What does your car do when you floor it from a 15-20 MPH roll and it kicks into 1st gear. If its making 16-18 PSI boost, you should be able to get some good sqeal out of the tires all though first... But if your talking about leaving off a dead idle launch and burning up the back tires thats going to be hard, specially with the stock convertor.

Guys have made the stock convertor work well with bigger turbos, but they usually have a Max Effort or burn thier own chips and tailor them to their own personal combo for quick spoolup.

But really, if the car spools fast on the roll, why would you want to burn the tires anyways off the launch? Can't win many races that way
And keep in mind these larger turbos aren't going to give much if any HP gain in the sub 20 PSI boost levels, as the stock turbo wasn't out of efficiency and spools quicker.

Just stuff I noticed with my car over the years of trying different things.

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want the tires to peel from a stand still.

Anyway, I am getting there with the boost turned up and playing with fuel pressure and Translator settings. Its a matter of time before I get it to hook up right.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
To rip the tire loose from a stand still recipe.

1. Put left foot on brake
2. Depress throttle with right foot
3. Once whistling sound is heard, remove left foot from brake while mashing right foot to floorboard.

Simple as that

Mike

[This message has been edited by VIN7 (edited August 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
In most cases Ripping tires from a standstill is not gonna happen on a TR without a large stall converter or without powerbraking it.

Another way would be to downsize the turbo or put on real skinny ties on the back

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
My son's T with a 44 will rip 275 Nittos from a stop without power braking or from a roll in low.

Either the puck is not sealing properly or the damn thing is too rich assuming his converter will stall to 2200-2400 as a stock converter should.

The TE44 will spool almost as quickly as the stock turbo if everything is right. Certainly well enuf to spin the tires a wot from a stop.

This is a screwy thread. The man says he does not have lag but cannot spin the tires. If it spun them with the stock turbo, then something ain't right.

I guess I don't know what lag is?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmmmm, why would you want to spin tires? You don't go anywhere when you do that....if you want to make smoke, just put your left foot on the brake pedal and your right foot on the gas...apply both...instant smoke

Woody

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are many TR's out there that will rip the tires from an idle w/o power braking even with the factory D5 converter. Mine isn't one of them yet
but I'm working on it.
I agree with S.WOOD. My guess is fueling in the chip..

Regards
KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts