Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Valve Monkey
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another problem encountered in the teardown (besides the pistons and the non-turbo crankshaft) is a hole or crack (haven't seen it yet, still at machine shop)in the #6 exhaust port of my Champion iron heads. What are the odds of a rookie porting another stock casting to match the Champion job? These are early ('95 to '96 according to Champion) porting jobs and are all by hand not CNC. Any suggestions on who could possibly repair the damaged one? I hate to shell out $475 for a bare casting from Champion. I may just put a set of stockers on and add the good springs, valves and T&D Roller Rockers from my Champions and call it a job. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

------------------
Richard Gautier
'87 GN, TE44 (was TE61), blue tops,IC and a half,Champion iron heads, Roller rockers,ported intake and plenum,70mm TB, Houston DP, no times yet!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
This may sound too obvious,but why not send it back to Champion to be fixed?Where exactly in the port is it cracked?If Champion will take too long to repair it,you could try a local welding shop.Just be sure to check it for warpage after you get it back[of course after an overheat,you should check the heads and block deck for warpage anyway].If you're feeling adventurous,you could blend the welded area back to shape yourself.Shouldn't be too tough.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree... However, many years ago a buddy of mine had to have his heads welded in several places...$350! Have some reputable shop weld it. Have your machine shop magaflux it and if it checks good, blend the weld yourself.

Good Luck.
KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by SinistrV6:
Another problem encountered in the teardown (besides the pistons and the non-turbo crankshaft) is a hole or crack (haven't seen it yet, still at machine shop)in the #6 exhaust port of my Champion iron heads. What are the odds of a rookie porting another stock casting to match the Champion job? These are early ('95 to '96 according to Champion) porting jobs and are all by hand not CNC. Any suggestions on who could possibly repair the damaged one? I hate to shell out $475 for a bare casting from Champion. I may just put a set of stockers on and add the good springs, valves and T&D Roller Rockers from my Champions and call it a job. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

If you can find a shop that specializes in spray welding with cast iron powder, the head should be repairable. It requires a controlled preheat and postheat, but should be less likely to crack and the weld will be much easier to work than a nyrod arc weld.

Welding cast iron requires skill and experience, but it's definitely do-able.

Good luck!

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most of these heads that crack do so between the valves. If this is the case, weld repair is not feasable or cost-effective. Just the port work on one head should not run over $300, less than trying to repair it. Of course, a valve job and guides would also be required, but so would additional work on the damaged head be needed after repair.

Let me know if I can help as the port work I have done is very reasonable.

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts