Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried the "other board" but still no answers

Trying to install my new VDO electric gauges.
Cant seem to figure how to get the stock Oil Pressurer Sender out. I have probably as much room as I can get down there, have the IC & Radiator hoses removed from the car.

I have some big deep sockets 1" and 1 1/16" but there not the right size.

anybody got any tips ?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Pep Boys or any local car parts store should have the special GM oil pressure sender removal and install socket wrench you need.

Funky GM size. :rolleyes:

About $5-$8 I think. dunno powersix

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
See if you can borrow it from autozone.
The 1's around here have a free tool loaner service. powersix
I wonder if it is the same size as the O2 socket. dunno dunno dunno

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I suggest keeping it in addition to your VDO unit you want to install. Not only does it operate the Oil/Choke idiot light in the dash, it's tied into the fuel pump circuit and will cut power to the fuel upon loosing oil pressure when running. Handy if you ask me.... :p powersix

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnaks for the replies guys..

Salvage, I got the tool from PEP-Boys (7.99)
made things MUCH easier..

Orlando, I decided to go the dual sender route.
got some hardware so i could use both. Man is it tight down there. The stocker kinda interferes with the lower radiator hose, but I think it should be ok..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Orlando_87GN:
Iit's tied into the fuel pump circuit and will cut power to the fuel upon loosing oil pressure when running. Handy if you ask me.... :p powersix
Oops, that is incorrect on the Regals.

It provides a back up to the fuel pump relay in case the relay goes bad. If the relay is bad, the sender will complete the circuit once the pressure hits 4#. That way the car will still start after some cranking. It will not turn the pump off unless the relay has either removed or is bad. As long as the relay is good, all the sender effectively does is run the idiot light.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sorry for the incorrect info... must be the drugs powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
:D

It should have been done that way. Other cars do it that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts