Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm removing my engine and I was wondering where is the best place to support the front of the tranny? I don't know if its ok to support under the pan or not. :dunno: Is there any place thats better to support? Whats the best thing to use? Block of wood? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Thats how I do it to pull the motor. After that you can tie it to the fire wall.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:confused:
Thanks for puzzling the fuch out of me.
:confused:

Could you please tell me HOW you do it? I mean I asked several questions and its very unclear what you are trying to communicate.
BTW the thanks up there is meant as a joke...don't take it the wrong way. :wink:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I thought you had an idea and I was just reassuring you that it was correct. But anyways. This is not yelling this is so you can read it better :D YES USE A BLOCK OF WOOD UNDER THE TRANS PAN. THEN AFTER YOU PULL THE MOTOR OUT YOU CAN STICK 2 SCREW DRIVERS IN 2 OF THE LOWER BOLT HOLES AND TIE IT TO THE FIREWALL. I wanted to put spaces in my post to make it rerad slower for you. Thought it may help you understand :cheers:

·
Just a member
68 Posts
Yes, block of wood on the jack pad towards the front-ish part of the transmission pan. Thats how Ive always done it anyways.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get a couple of coat hangers and run them thru the top holes on the bellhousing, then tie them off to the hood support stud just above the firewall about the center of the windshield. You have to remove the sealer strip across the top of the firewall. The trans will hang on the stud with no problems. :D

John

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wayne
Thanks John
and
T H A N K Y O U Mike. :D

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Probably not an option but I invested in a low profile tranny jack...got it from Harbor Freight...here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3185

it gets a lot of use...kind of a community trans jack for the Buick guys here...when I pull engines on these cars I just undo the trans and push it back just enough to clear the bellhousing pins...engine then is a piece of cake to remove and install...I've tried pulling just the engine and leaving the trans in place...not too bad coming out but trying to put the engine back in was a royal PITA...you can't just go straight down onto the motor mount pedestals with the trans bolted up...the flywheel and bellhousing pins get in the way so you have to tilt the trans upwards and the front of the engine downwards...then try to get the motor mounts lined up...I will never do it that way again...I also tried removing the engine/trans together...came out pretty easy but putting it back in didn't go very smooth...think I'll stick with the back tranny out of the way first...then remove engine...maybe you can borrow a trans jack...or get a group together to go in buying one...

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats nice. I should buy one just to make sure I never have to use it again. You know thats how it works. If I don't buy it because I figure it won't get used but this one time then I will need it like every week or something. If I do buy it then it will sit in the corner of the garage and never be used again. It may be worth buying to insure that I never need it again. :yup:

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
I took a 2x4 and 2 1/2 " carriage bolts and put the bolts thru the frame drilled holes thru 2x4 and mounted it under the front of trans...it is movable up and done with the carriage bolt nuts to help with aligning pins to block on the re-install...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts