Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three of my badges are missing the 3. I have new ones I received from the guy I bought the car from that will go on after the car is eventually painted.

My questions is..how can I remove the badges and ensure a clean look after there gone? Like no glue or gunk left over from the old badges.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
if you are very carefull you can use a razor blade with automotive adhesive remover 3m part # 8987 (spray) 8984 (qt) if you think you will scrape the paint then soak edges of emblem with the adhesive remover and the take a bondo/plastic spreader and slowly lift them up. applying more adhesive remover as you go. after the adhesive and emblem have been removed use a little compound to eliminate any discoloring left where the emblem was due to fading..

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I just did badges on my GN last weekend. I have a industrial heat gun. Picked it up at **** Depot. I heated the badges for a good bit and used a small thin flat head screw driver (like jewlers size) and got behind the edge of the badge and pulled it forward little by little untill the badge and all the glue came with it. All my badges came off with ease and no glue was on the car when I was done! In fact I stuck the old ones on my tool box while they were hot and stuck nice. :) The only thing is have a nice big rag ready to catch it when it finally comes all the way off. That sucker is like a million degrees! Would be best to have 2 people that's for sure. I just took some isopropyl alcohol to clean up the area to install the new badge and stuck the new ones on. Little wax and it came out perfect. But that's the best way to get them off with no mess to clean up off your car! :6:

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Use heavy fishing line with wd-40 and then when they are off the remaining glue with wd-40 and your fingernail.
I wouldnt risk using any metal implement, by thats just me.
....don't like the Opps!

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Were did you get your new badges? I have a whole set of new ones from Kirbans and the yellow is faded. It sure doesn't look as bright as the ones you're showing. :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
All the GN badges are still avaiable from GM. That's where I got mine. The set is $178.98 shipped from GM parts direct. That's 3 GN's and 2 IC badges. That is not including the 3.8 ones for the hood bulge. It still amazes me how much stuff for the GN is still avaiable from GM some 20 years later! :eek!: :6:

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Another option :

Sort of the same as the others but, I removed mine with a blow dryer and a putty knife wrapped with a soft cotton rag. Heat the badge for a while, slide the cloth wrapped putty knife behind the badge, on end and start to work the corner. Once it starts to lift, just keep the heat on and some light tension and the badge will start to come off slowely. Do not rush it, and you should be fine.

Final clean up of the area with rubbing alchohol and then a wash with soap an water.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Another thing to consider when removing your emblems is whether they have been removed at one time or another. Most people just run down to the parts store and use glue and glue them back on. If thats the case than removing them could be fun. If it is the plastic 3.8 SFI emblems than I wouldn't bother trying to save them. You can get those new and they're cheap. If you find there is glue instead of the molding tape than you can wet sand the old glue off and polish the paint. Becarefull removing the metal emblems. The enamelizing on them cracks real easily if you bend them by mistake.

·
Registered
88 Posts
PhillyTurboSix said:
All the GN badges are still avaiable from GM. That's where I got mine...
Jim, Can you please post the part #s? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Sure! :)

Fenders and trunk badge 25516222
IC badge 25526372
3.8L SFI TURBO for hood 25519633

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
I used a heat gun and a thin guitar string wrapped around two dowels, worked perfect, gotta be careful though.

Joe

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont care about breaking the badges, I have new ones for when I am ready to put them back on. I gonna try the heat gun method and some fising line. Probably need a buddy to lend a hand. I am just concerened about the glue left behing leaving a mark where the emblem was. We'll see.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
On the fender and trunk badges I heated them till you could not touch them. Would burn your hand. With the small thin flat head screwdriver they came right off and left NO glue behind. I wiped the fender with some alcohol and stuck the new ones back on. Took me all of 3 mins. It's easy just get them nice and hot and they will walk off on their own! :yup: :cheers: :6:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
if you use the heat trick and heavy fishing line youll be good. using a guitar string, putty knife, or any sharp metal object can result in a nasty scratch- especialy if you slip. to remove the residue get a adhesive eraser from napa- put it on a drill or die grinder- it wont scratch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts