Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys is the red stripe converter any good? i think my converter went so if thats the case i wanna up grade. what you guys think?

·
Registered
156 Posts
What turbo are you running. I had a red stripe with a TE-44 and it was OK, but not quick. Better to go with the orange stripe or better yet a 3200 stall 9". That's what I replace the red stripe with. Really wakes it up off the line. Much easier to build boost on the line and you don't need to build as much to launch hard.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Boid, for your combo, stick with a 12"/2600-2800 rpm converter. That is what a redstripe is but don't pay extra for the name..just call Jack C and get one for a decent price.

Be sure that yours is actually bad before spending money on something you may not need. What makes you think yours is bad?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steve, yesterday the car started acting real real lazy on the 1 2 shift under heavy load its weird it shifts and then engages. and when it goes in to od the converter locks and unlocks and its been unlocking under normal driving. my 60's have been horable the car just does not want to leave. i dont have the money for a real expensive converter thats whyi was looking at the red stripe or orange stripe. and with in the next 2 weeks i should be putting on my te 44.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
symptoms don't sound like the converter to me. So called orange stripes are very inefficient because the fins are bent back so much...too much slip above the stall speed.

Red stripe is just a name someone put on restalled 12" converters once....

You can footbrake the car and check the stall of the current converter....that should also tell you if the converter is working correctly, I think.

You may have some tranny problems beyond the converter.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm calling the tranny guy right now hopefuly its a cloged filter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts