Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to rebuild my 3.8, it has tons of leaks etc...I was wondering if anyone has ever re ringed a stock motor with 140k miles....The motor has no knocks etc just has leaks...I was gonna put all new gaskets etc do a vavle job....But use stock pistons and re ring it.......I do not have much money to spend right now so just curious.................

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
There have been some very high mileage blocks that have had two rings put back on the pistons.

Until you pull the thing apart and do some measuring, it is hard to know for sure. I have seen some high mileage engines where the original hone marks were still visible.

If the bores are still pretty round and not have a lot of obvious wear, I think it will be fine but I would have a touch up hone job done to the cylinders to prepare them for the new rings.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thats what i was going to do to"Then it took $3500.So if your not ready to bite the bullit"I would say reseal it & let it alone if its running good!You can just about bet your ass its going to need more than just rings!Good luck!

------------------
Keith Davis---"Putting it together!:)86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I meant new rings and not two rings....it seems everytime I build an engine it costs at least 50% more than I meant to spend....I am bad about adding stuff...whether i really need it or not

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Two rings? Had the wedding on your mind didn't you Dad?

The two engines I have taken apart (one is back together, 84/85 T-Types) had about 110k miles on them (each). Both showed very little wear. I just re-ringed, rod and main bearings, valve springs, cam/lifters, etc. the reason I finally took the 85's engine out was bad running due to unknown causes. Turned out to be a flattened cam lobe.

The biggest problem was carbon buildup on top of the pistons and the bottom of the valves. If you have a lot of buildup top engine cleaner is a waste of time. I ran two bottles through mine about a week prior to the rebuild and I couldn't see that it did anything.

If you do re-ring you may want to remove the ridge on the cylinder bore with a ridge-reamer. Don't buy a cheap Ridge-Reamer either BELIEVE ME!

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited July 24, 2001).]

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thinking of how to mount a 40x scope on my varmit rifle to catch you before you got to the daughter....dead son to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts