Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about my stock turbo and if I should re-use it on my fresh engine that was just built. The original engine and turbo had almost 200,000 kms on it when it chewed a bearing. Did a complete engine job (pistons, cam all new bearings, etc.). Would it be a good idea to use my stock turbo untill I get my new one or wait for my new one to come in. Can someone please help me. Thanks in advance. Chris

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Yes and No. Yes you can reuse it after a rebuild. Some the metal from you engine failure flows into the turbo. When you restart it will wash back down into the engine with the clean oil. You should also replace the engine oil cooler in the radiator. Metal will also get trapped in it.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to flush the turbo to get the metal filings out? I have a new oil cooler on the car already, replaced when the engine was out. Is there any other precauions I should take if I reuse my turbo. Thanks again. Chris

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
With that much mileage I'm sure the turbo is worn and is in need for a rebuild or replacement. Can't really be flushed with out disassembly

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You know.
To bad there wasn't a way to add a small type of oil filter from the turbo oil return line going back into the block. (Remote system)
Justa thought.
You are replacing the turbo feed line right?
Cheap insurance if you do. Unless you can get it real clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts