Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would it cost to send an 87 gn motor out to one of the reputable guys and have it rebuilt? Anywhere from stock to mild?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the invoice from the last owner of my car...he paid $5,600. It was built to stock specs. Parts include(off the top of my head): new pistons, cam, valves, pushrods, etc. Oh, and he had stuff like the AC charged and the new fuel pump installed. I'm not sure if this guy got raped, but I know I don't want to spend that much if I ever have to rebuild.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster II, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock..except for all the stuff that doesn't last 15yrs.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Generally Speaking, Look at about $1,000./100hp in the engine. The cost will vary with options like Girdle, piston quality,ARP hardware used, and other such upgraded. We have built Long blocks for as little as $2,500 and up to about $5,000+. When pricing out the job, compare what each is doing, not just the parts; ie Bal. & Blue printed, oil mods. and more.

Hope this helps,
John @ ESP

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Micale:
To get an idea on pricing, go to: www.arizonagn.com

Under "engines", click on "quote" for a listing of rebuild info and prices.
The price didn't look to bad till you add in the prices for options.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Call Billy Anderson in Baltimore. The number is 410-282-9335. He is excellent and won't forget you when the motor is done.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Billy is a good guy. He's also going to have on h#ll of a fast car this year. Hopefully he'll have it at the Nats.

You can also look in the new issue of GM High Tech. Although the buildup was done by one of their advertisers, I think there's some good info there and they also have a price breakdown.

-Banning.

------------------
86 T-Type WH1
Wilmington, DE
GSCA# 4817
Web site: http://www.geocities.com/jamesbanning

11.80 @ 112.8mph w/1.57 60'

Mods (new combo):
PT51 turbo w/.63 housing, Ported irons w/stock valves, 218 cam, Powerstroke IC, 72# injectors, M.E. 16 position, ATR 3" DP w/external gate, DelTrans 200R4, 9.5" Vigilante, Eaton posi, Hooiser QT Pro's

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the article in GM High Tech and wanted to compare their prices with others out there. They do alot of nice oil mods and stuff but man thats alot of money. Looks like you get what you pay for. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts