Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after three cans of degreaser and pressure washing the top and under my 87 gn I finally found my rear main is leaking. I've read a few post on how to do it. Just wanted to clear things up. So the transmission doesn't need removed ?? And also what is the best gasket for this? Auto zone? Advance or a K.O.I store carry it? Any tricks you guys have please feel free to share.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
No need to remove trans. I did this and used a Fel Pro rear main seal kit. I didn't use the nails, filled the cavities with The Right Stuff. Just made sure everything was nice and clean and took my time, dental floss works trick for holding the pan gasket in place upon re-installing.
Oh, crossover has to come off I believe. I remember removing mine

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
No need to remove trans. I did this and used a Fel Pro rear main seal kit. I didn't use the nails, filled the cavities with The Right Stuff. Just made sure everything was nice and clean and took my time, dental floss works trick for holding the pan gasket in place upon re-installing.
Oh, crossover has to come off I believe. I remember removing mine
Thats what I use as well. One trick is to clock the seal so the rubber seals are not 100% flat with the block & cap when they are mated together. let each end protude a 1/16th-1/4" up & down

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
I wrote the article on the TR website. You don't need to remove the transmission. Take your time and follow the instructions and you will be fine. And if you will note the instructions do say to not mate the seal ends at the main cap block mating surface.

Chris Fasulo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts