Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to a Ford 9" Rear End soon and my questions are: Explorer Disc Brakes and just how to make them work with a PM Brake System, or Ford Rear Drum Brakes, and my ultimate goal is to hold big boost,and with working parking brakes. I don't care about changing anything to make the rear brakes work right. Gene PS. All the Rear End Vendors said that any posi unit will ultimately fail with hard use so a locker type posi will be installed.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: ILBCNU6 ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I have Ford rear disc brakes ( 89 Linc Conti) this is the conversion setup from Stainless Steel brake corp. I works great with the Powermaster, stock lines and stock proportion valve. But holding ultra high boost I think you will have a problem. My max is around 10lbs (3400 stall converter) But on street braking is great I can do repeated 100 to 0 panic stops without fade and stopping distance improved about 25%. I had to put a transbrake in to get ultra high boost launches.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
What brakes you guys have up front?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Mine are stock with cross drilled rotors and Performance Friction "Z" pads or Bendix severe duty pads. I found the bendix better at the track and the Z pads better driving like a maniac in the street wink

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: ULYCYC ]</small>

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
Drum brakes on the rear are the ticket for holding big boost as they provide more contact than caliper/disk setups. Most of the fast TTA guys have tossed the rear disks and gone to drums just for this reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the stock gm 8.5 10 bolt is a strong rear end but the posi was not intended for that kind of abuse i think u would granad it i would use a eton posi or some kind of locker i had a 8.5 in my 79 cutlass out of a gn and i blew the stock limited slip out of it with just drag rad. wink

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
TT3kgtVR4:
this may be a dumb question.. but how strong is the stock diff? would it be strong enough to run slicks or would you have to put on a bigger one?
Very strong... my diff has 160,000 miles on it with about 400 passes on slicks all in the 1.50-1.60 range. The weakest part is the axles. From what I've seen they tend to snap if you launch with over 10lbs alot. I launch with 5-8 lbs and still have the original axles. Moser makes hardened replacement axles. BTW the stock posi is an Eton, and is reliable into the tens.

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: rastaz ]</small>

·
Registered
71 Posts
thats a very impressive diff.. when you talk about launching with 8psi does that mean you are using line lock? cause when i launch my 3000gt .. i dont have line lock but i load the clutch with 6-8psi...

·
Registered
32 Posts
more than likely, he uses his line lock to heat up his tires(since it locks the front and allows the rear to spin freely), then powerbrakes it...while sitting at the line, without the rear tires moving, his gauges read 5-8 #s of boost.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 8.5" TR Rear end is much better than any other late model GM rear. Getting rid of the C-Clip retained axels, and a posi that will eventually fail is my problem. My TA engine will be making about 900hp and all the Rear End Co.s said "no posi will hold up to that kind of HP" I don't want to run a spool as my car will be completely streetable. The 9" Ford with the Nodular Case, severe duty gears, 33 spline axels, a Locker type posi will hold up to this HP. I'll probably get the Currie complete bolt in unit and sell my GM Corporate Rear. They are in very much demand as an exchange unit to other GM late model cars. The choice of brakes on the Ford Rear is an option so the advice was needed. Thanks. Gene

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.