Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting in an eaton posi in another week or two in my GN. I was debating on going with synthetic or regular gear oil. I'm not very concerned about the price but about leaks. I had heard Some cars seem to leak forever with synthetic gear oil. I will be installing all new seals at the same time. Is there truth to the myth, should I stick with regular gear oil? I will be re-using my stock gearset and axles which has a whopping 26,000 miles on them. I'm looking for reliability mainly. I hate having stuff break or discovering problems all the time.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Gnx6 said:
Is there truth to the myth, should I stick with regular gear oil?
I'd stick with the *regular*.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
From the Eaton site

What type of lubricant and limited slip additive should I use with my newly purchased Eaton Limited Slip Differential?

Eaton strongly recommends utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford).

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Eaton spoke, not me...but, why use 2 bottles? My eaton works fine with one

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen various cars that have been noisey after a service, drain it out and refill with fluid and 2 bottles, noise is gone. I heard it a few times from various people. I know if one works why use 2, Damn I wish I could remember where I heard it. I think I heard it from a few racers/enthusiasts. Perhaps the F-Body crowd? Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You can always add a second if required, but, you cannot take it out..

from the Eaton site, they suggest one :)

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
If you are buying the Eaton posi new just look at the Bright Neon paper in the box that says "dont use synthetic lubricants as they will hamper the clutch operation".

I use this and have thousands of trouble free miles in both my GNs.

1 bottle-Valvoline 75w90 mineral gear oil
1 bottle- Lucas oil stabilizer
1 tube/container of limited slip additive (KW, GM, Mopar)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts