Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FUBAR
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to raise the boost on a Buick? I have and adjustable wastegate and a Grainger valve on my car. I've been adjusting the boost with the valve because it's a lot easier than pulling that clip off the wg to play with the rod. But is this the best way to do it? The way it is setup right now, the base boost is about 11 lbs, and I've added about 6 more lbs with the valve. Are there any drawbacks to doing it this way? Would it be better to set the wg rod closer to, say, 14 psi and add more with the valve?

Your opinions would be appreciated!

Mike

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i go by wastegate. its the easyest way. IMO.

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Rob, I dont know about easier.... sucks when you have to adjust it when hot...
But I like the waste gate rod adjustment better.
You up the boost--make 3-4 turns on the nut-- too much turn it back 1-2.
More precise IMO.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
good point steve! i always do it with a glove. it helps some.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The only thing I've run into at times, is not having enough preload on the rod. That can cause it to leak slightly, and be slow on building boost.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
In theory, you are better off controlling it with the grainger valve.

·
FUBAR
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve Wood said:
In theory, you are better off controlling it with the grainger valve.
That's what I've been doing, though I can't seem to get the boost past 15 PSI. I've been using the fine adjustment wheel, which is 1 PSI per turn. The coarse adjustment wheel on this valve is 5 PSI per turn. I've avoided playing with that because I didn't want to over-do it!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if the spring is not strong enuf in the valve, then you may have to use the rod...most of the grainger style valves will hit 20#, but, I don't always believe the 1 pound bit or the five pound bit...back off the fine and add course, I guess :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im confused with the grainger valve. Which way is it to increase boost ? Is it screw it in to increase or screw it out to increase?

I have alky, and its going past 25 (dont worry i wont blow it up). My rod is screwed in a bit, but i have been unscrewing it with no difference, or maybe getting worse. The grainger valve itsef is screwed in, less one turn.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
reducing pressure on the internal spring of the valve will decrease pressure...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts