Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the radiator from an v8 regal the same except for tank with the oil cooler. Could I take my end tank with the oil coolers and put it on an N/A regal radiator?

Scott

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
While the V-8 radiator is the same size I think it is only a 2 row compared to the TR's 3 row. IMO there are other options, as in cheaper options than doing this. My thinking is if you are going to swap the stock tanks than you would probally money ahead by going to the popular 4 row core. And I would think if a radiator shop was rebuilding it for you than the correct 3 row would be the same price as the 2 row core.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you get the end tank gaskets at the dealer? do you have a part bumber? or if not where can I buy them???

See I have a V8 parts car but I don't have much money right now. Next weekend I'll have to go where I have the car (v8 car) parked syphon out some coolant and see howmany cores there are. I could have swore there were 3, but it has been a few years.

I am going to go around to the radiator shops first and get a price on that.

thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I syphoned out some coolant ran the car, most of the tubes are almost totally blocked.

I called a radiator shop and he gave me some BS about the price of copper and that it would cost me $300 to have it recored. :eek!:

I couldn't see where the clips are that you bend over to remove the end tank. But if I can get the gasket for the end tank I could put my tank on another core and be in business. I'll have to pull my radiator out, get a better look at the way the tank is attached,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ULYCYC said:
What's wrong with your radiator?

dyermullet said:
I syphoned out some coolant ran the car, most of the tubes are almost totally blocked.

It is original and it is plugged with corrosion = no coolant flow.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
There are no gaskets if it is a brass and copper job. Everything is soldered. I'd shop around. A new core shouldn't cost more than $100 IIRC. Also the replacement V-8 radiator that AutoZone sells is a plastic and aluminum job that usually runs in the $125 range. You just have to live without the engine oil cooler and reroute the tranny cooler lines a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The f-body aluminum unit 433918 will be the cheapest solution, you'll need an oil cooler however.

The OEM unit AC Delco 20269, SPI CU683, Visteon 8683, GM 88959433 is about $350.

A recore with the Modine 3R11460 4-row high-efficiency core will have more cooling capacity.

A recore with the Craig Manufacturing 4-row big-tube high-efficiency core will have more.

A recore with the US Radiator Optima 4-row core will have more cooling capacity than the 41-row, 2 tubes per row, 1" tube aluminum units.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
87GN_70GS said:
The OEM unit AC Delco 20269, SPI CU683, Visteon 8683, GM 88959433 is about $350.
GM LIST: $433.56

·
Registered
155 Posts
PTS Extreme in California is making new alum. radiators with the oil cooler to fit TR's. They are supposed to be an exact fit.

John

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
JM_in_TX said:
PTS Extreme in California is making new alum. radiators with the oil cooler to fit TR's. They are supposed to be an exact fit.

John
For $500 and unproven. But it does look good. I think it's overkill for this application. :sw:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
awesome. Does 8683 have the trans and oil coolers?

It has a 3 year waranty my local autozone has to order it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had a recore done for around $120 4 years ago. I would call around to more shops and see whats up, $300 sounds way to high even if the price of copper went up.

If you go F body ( I did ) you get only the trans cooler. You would need to either ditch the oil cooler completely ( I did ) or go air to air.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the TOC EOC in the description mean trans oil cooler and engine oil cooler ?

And I checked mine the V8 regal has a 3core radiator.
I have a job interview tomarrow, so hopefully I will have some money soon to get to these problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts