Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my radiator, Condensor & Intercooler cleaned and checked at a local rad shop (recored radiator too).

Now I need to paint them.

What brand and type spray paint to you guys use?

Type means ---> Gloss, Semi-gloss, flat, etc.

I kind of like the Krylon BBQ grill paint...Advanced Auto sells it. It is good to 1,200 degrees (not going to get that hot).

It requires no primer, and if almost "flat", just a little bit of "sheen", but not sure what it would look like on these parts.

Opinions / pics please of what you've done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
zr2tim said:
Just had my radiator, Condensor & Intercooler cleaned and checked at a local rad shop (recored radiator too).

Now I need to paint them.

What brand and type spray paint to you guys use?

Type means ---> Gloss, Semi-gloss, flat, etc.

I kind of like the Krylon BBQ grill paint...Advanced Auto sells it. It is good to 1,200 degrees (not going to get that hot).

It requires no primer, and if almost "flat", just a little bit of "sheen", but not sure what it would look like on these parts.

Opinions / pics please of what you've done.
From a heat transfer POV, you'd be better off with a thin coat of flat or semi-gloss black. This approaches the ideal model of a "black body emitter". That's one college class that I paid attention in... :sw:

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have had incredible luck with Black Satin Rust Stop paint from ACE Hardware. Sounds half ass but it sprays nice, dries hard and doesn't come off. It's a nice factory satin looking black too.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
SEM 39143 or 39144 Trim black has an acid etch built into paint will no flake off and you can use it for window molding trim and wheel well molding

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Any paint will cut down on the effectiveness of the radiator. The coatings especially made for radiators will cause less reduction. So, make up your mind if you want "pretty", or functional. The thinnest, least shiny coat is best for heat transfer, but won't get lots of points in the ghetto. Note that the radiator does very little heat transfer by "radiation", in spite of the name. Conduction and convection are the only significant modes of heat transfer at work, and the paint interferes with conduction. Not much, probably just a few per cent, but still not "best" for heat transfer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts