Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 50% of the time I start the car, the fan goes on right away. It can sit for 2 days & it happens. Not temp related. I replaced the big sensor, driver side but still the same. Works correctly when i shut car off cuz it cools about 5-10 minutes?? and stops no problem? Works fine all other aspects. Any ideas what could make it just instantly come on with starting the car but only 50% of the time?? No pattern?
Not a big problem but seems weird & would like to correct it! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It is not supposed to come on until the coolant temp reaches the low speed temp programmed into the chip.

It will come on immediately if the AC is on, however, and should be on high speed then.

I find it a bit strange that it comes on after the engine is switched off unless the car is running much hotter than normal. Most cars with good cooling systems and 160 deg thermostats never get hot enuf for the fan coolant switch on top of the manifold to switch the delay relay.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve'
Its possible the AC was on a few times but I generally shut it off before I turn the car off.
So this is more chip than relay related. I have lots of chips to try. It only stays on after I shut down when its hot like after heavy traffic or a few track passes,(rarely) Car usually runs about 165 normally. Weird that temp can be 40 in the garage & sitting for days but it will still do it, but with no set pattern?? I do have the Caspers Hi-Low manual fan switch thats wired to the AC unit. Dont think the 2 are related? Could be something a lot worse so I can live with it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts