Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am trying to understand some of the concepts of tuning using 02s as a guideline. Most people are telling me that a safe level of 02s to run at WOT are low 800's or 790's. Does that still apply with say 100 octane race fuel? Should the 02's remain the same? If there is no knock does that factor into the equation?

Thanks for helpin the new guy :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
O2's aren't a very reliable parameter to tune with but O2's basically give you a rough idea of the air/fuel ratio...I may be wrong but I believe they should remain within the same range regardless of octane used...the higher octane (which helps to suppress detonation) allows you to run higher boost...but you still have to keep the O2's in line...lean is lean regardless of octane...but a higher octane may let you get away with running on the lean side.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
mzunino said:
Ok, I am trying to understand some of the concepts of tuning using 02s as a guideline. Most people are telling me that a safe level of 02s to run at WOT are low 800's or 790's. Does that still apply with say 100 octane race fuel? Should the 02's remain the same? If there is no knock does that factor into the equation?
Using the stock O2 sensor for knowing rich or leaner then 14.7:1 is all they're good for. By design they are a switching sensor, the only tell you rich or lean, period, end of conversation. Lots of folks thou, thought they were something that they weren't and the *legend* was born, mind you at the time this legend began, a WideBand cost right at $2,000 and that was a decade ago. I've seen 820mv, equal a 10.8:1 AFR, as well as a 11.8:1 both measured in back to back passes.

Proper done, you adjust timing based on fuel. Not the other way around. So if you have knock and add fuel without knocking where you are AFR wise, you're at risk for doing engine damage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would also like to add that increasing fuel pressure is NOT a replacement for higher octane...you can add as much fuel as you want to increase the O2's but if you don't have the octane(to support specific timing/boost) you are asking for trouble...

·
www.SuperbGraphics.net
461 Posts
Ok me throw another wrench in this lol

Alky inj. with meth. is a bomb and what you are sayin about 02 #'s and fuel would make it sound bad :dunno:
We are running 24* of timming and 25lbs of boost with no knock! :D and alky inj. 100% meth also.

But according to your post here the adding of extra fuel (alky is a fuel) to make more power and stay out of knock is bad??? Humm I know a guy that runs 21lbs with 94 oct. and 83lb inj and a gtq70 turbo guess his 9's are going to end soon lmao :6:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
thunderace31 said:
Ok me throw another wrench in this lol

Alky inj. with meth. is a bomb and what you are sayin about 02 #'s and fuel would make it sound bad :dunno:
We are running 24* of timming and 25lbs of boost with no knock! :D and alky inj. 100% meth also.

But according to your post here the adding of extra fuel (alky is a fuel) to make more power and stay out of knock is bad??? Humm I know a guy that runs 21lbs with 94 oct. and 83lb inj and a gtq70 turbo guess his 9's are going to end soon lmao :6:
Sorry, but, you just threw a bunch of grapefruit into the discussion when it was about apples. Your comments are out of the context of the discussion. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.