Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my problem-of-the-month (now July) is a quick upshifting tranny, even under WOT/boost, for all shifts. I can't build power/rpms before it upshifts (certainly with more slippage than normal too). This started just all of a sudden w/o changing anything.

Adjusted trans cable back twds firewall another notch (from 4 to 5 exposed notches @ backside)--but no change.

Could this likely be something relatively simple like TV cable linkage to trans, or governor (if that's simple?)??

I'm just trying to prepare myself for my tranny-man's "diagnosis"--who rebuilt tranny 3-4k miles ago (I also had converter rebuilt then). :rant:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I guess there's no one out there smarter than me--& I know zippo about auto. transmissions... I'm sure this separate tranny section was put here for a reason,,, kumon guys, please!

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so tranny ?'s are boring, mystical & over most of our heads. This seems like a "wasted section" for TBs.com. My lips are now sealed! Gracious para nada e hasta la vista--no mas para ahora mis amigos,,,

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
it's only been 2 days...adjust the cable some more.. if that's not help, time to pull the pan and look at the govenor(sp?) spring.. is the TC locking?

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cable adjusted more--no help,,, TC lock-up = fine/normal

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
I second the governer spring. Its quick and relatively easy to check, if you dont mind an ATF bath.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Pull the pan off and look for debris. A problem like 'all of a sudden' most likely means something is coming apart inside and making valves stick.

·
trans tech
78 Posts
while you have the pan pulled, have someone work the accelerator pedel and watch to see if linkage is pushing t.v. valve in all the way on v.b. at wide open throttle the valve should be moved in all the way :sw:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped off at tranny shop last evening & passed along ideas to ck for today: 1) "wear debris" in pan, 2) cable linkage to valve body, 3) governor,,,

I'm sure I was preaching to the choir--but I feel better having said it! Asked him to be sure & change fluid/filter also--even though fluid = clean, has no strange odor, and only has about 4k miles since tranny overhaul...

More to follow,,,

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, here's the brief story:

1) fluid was clean, no debris in pan--changed fluid & filter anyhow, of course
2) apparently were some valve body blockages-something "sticking--CLEANED
3) tranny man said something about TV? sticking (did not yet get to confirm)
4) $127.xx & I'm now "good to go"

As picked up, shifts are now somewhat delayed & I'll back off TV adjustment. (I haven't yet ckd under hood to see TV cable adjustment...)

From searches I've done & recent info gathered re: "governors"--I found this/ these--both running counter-current to my symptoms/problems:

1) decreasing governor wts will lead to INCREASE in shift points,, so if I lost a weight, shift points would INCREASE--not DECREASE per my problem

2) decreasing spring pressure will also lead to INCREASE in shift points'' so if a spring had broken or somehow become dislodged--shifts points would INCREASE--not DECREASE per my problem.

Tks to all those who responded,

Monte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts