Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wake tower on my boat. It's a nice tower, but I need to have joints welded in so I can lower/remove it. There's a local guy that will take a look and give me an estimate.

Basically, there are four uprights that I will have cut and joints welded into place. The tower is aluminum. The joints can be bought or fabricated.

How much should I expect to pay? Any complications or concerns I should be addressing?

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
I am not a welder, however I work with several.
Aluminum is tricky, not every welder can do it. Also it can be prone to cracking.
Good luck.

Mark

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
...and needless to say, be careful if it's being welded while still on the boat. Not just from a fire hazard standpoint, but also grounding and any electronics you may have, AND I'd imagine sparks or a hot piece of slag would serious F up your gelcoat and/or upholstery.

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
I'd be sure he's using TIG welding...Alum wire gun is not what I'd do. $.02

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also be careful about aluminum + steel contact on boats; it will corrode over time.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointers. Hopefully I'll have the guy look at the boat tomorrow or Friday.

I'll try to post a pic later to give y'all an idea what I'm talking about.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Chris,
To truly get an idea about your situation I think I need to come down there and go for a ride in the boat (before it gets any colder of course :) ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts