Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt my motor, and when I got it in it started and had a little over 50psi of oil pressure at idle. ran perfect. Here is a little history. I used the same cam, lifters, crank, rods and pistons that I took out, I didn't replace them cause they were all in perfect shape. All I did was get the crank ground to 10 under got 10 under bearings. replaced the rings, and all bearings and gaskets. As I was brekaing the rings in by alternating RPMs not using any boost, after the first 100 miles or so oil pressure went to 25 and no matter if i was at idle or pressing on the accelerator it would stay at 25psi of oil pressure. I listened outside the car and there was an extremely loud tick on the passenger side which i would suspect lifter tick. Not sure what the deal is. Gauge is good, sender is good, good grounds and positive connections.

I was going to get it bored 30 over and get new cam, lifters, pistions, and steel main caps. Any ideas if I must do that or if it is more of a simple fix before I tear it out.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Brandon

a bit more information is needed,

did you run this engine for 20-30 minutes and change the oil and filter?

did you rebuilt your oil pump assembly? if so which spring did you use?

did you have your block prepped at the machine shop?

did you assemble this engine your self?

is there any metal in the oil currently?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More_Boost!! said:
Brandon

a bit more information is needed,

did you run this engine for 20-30 minutes and change the oil and filter?

did you rebuilt your oil pump assembly? if so which spring did you use?

did you have your block prepped at the machine shop?

did you assemble this engine your self?

is there any metal in the oil currently?
Here is the deal. I was gonna change it after the initial drive out to break in the rings, my oil pump assembly is all stock I didn't even take it out of the front cover, just cleaned it up a bit while everything was still attached. The block didn't need to be prepped. I cleaned it and my machine shop said there is no reason to deck it or anything like that since nothing was out of speck and I did the entire assembly myself. Currently there is no metal in the oil, I even cut open the filter and nothing the either worth worrying about.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You can't do a good rebuild and not prep the block. You should have also rebuilt the front cover/oilpump. Something is wrong and pulling the motor and doing right this time is your only choice. :sw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts