Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you that have changed cams rebuild motors etc.etc... come up with valve train noise not knocking,not lifters,not push rods just valve train noise.have comp cam 206-206 did put new lifters in was real quiet then after couple days noise again.is this normal? can't hear it if driving car but if go to show motor while running can hear noise. wink

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rebuilt my motor and used the Reed 210-205 cam and Gm lifters bought from the GSCA and I have the same valvetrain noise your talkin about. It sounds ticky I know its not a lifter or a worn cam lobe because I pulled the intake to check it LOL....I was told by several other people that an aftermarket cam grind is ground on a different base circle than the stock cam...Its supposed to be a fast ramp cam compared to the stocker and thats what makes it a little noisier than stock... I'm just gonna learn to live with it....

1986 Buick Regal T-type
210-205 cam, stock turbo, int. etc....
Dk. Blue Metallic w/tan leather int..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just checked my oil filter again nothin in it.....My lifter preload is set at .030 inch. I got 5,500 miles on my rebuild and have checked the oil filter 3 times for debris already and have found nothin!!!If it were gonna break I think it would have broke by now?????

1986 Buick Regal T-type
210-205 cam, stock turbo, int. etc.....
Dk. Blue Metallic w/tan leather int....

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the same problem when I had my KB cam, noisey all the time. When I switched to a 206 cam, I had the groove on the front journal of the cam spray welded closed and machined. That cam was quiet, till it wiped the #3 lobe around 6000 miles later, the noise appeared just after 34 dyno pulls, about a week later. I switched to a billet roller, and that one is a bit noisey, BUT, I didnt have the groove filled. My factory cam which I still have and is still good, DID NOT have any groove for oil transfer to the driver side lifter galley. The groove is in the block. My take is the the groove in all the replacement cams bleed off oil to the drivers side lifters. You end up with 2 oil transfer grooves where only one is needed. Mark

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so not welding and grinding that groove makes it noisey?I'll learn to live with it as to much work just to pull it.know that she's running alot better.time to crank new turbo to 25lbs (te60)and see what she does. :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
urntfstenuf:
Have any of you that have changed cams rebuild motors etc.etc... come up with valve train noise not knocking,not lifters,not push rods just valve train noise.have comp cam 206-206 did put new lifters in was real quiet then after couple days noise again.is this normal? can't hear it if driving car but if go to show motor while running can hear noise. wink
My original question again. Did you cut open and check your oil filters? And what did you set your lifter preload to?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
let me re-phrase ,engine was put together by some one else so don't know what pre-load was set at.cam has been in 2.5yrs know,but when I do change oil no metal in it.just wondered if any one else had noisey cam after changeing(other than stock). wink

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts