Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What effect does lifter preload have on the car. For example, what does less preload (.010) compared to more (.060) do to the motor? Is there a target preload? Also, since I have stock, non-adjustable rockers, not all the lifters pre-load the same amount, so what does that do to the car? Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think plus or minus .010 will get you into any trouble either way. .030 is what your looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of the lifters only preload about .010, is this dangerous? I know the target is about .030, but should I be worried about the lifters that only show .010? Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If there is too much preload, you may encounter premature valve float.

If there is too little, the lifter may become noisy and act like a solid lifter.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Steve Wood:

If there is too little, the lifter may become noisy and act like a solid lifter.

They are actually very quiet. What do you mean by "act like a solid lifter"? Do you just mean that it will be noisy? Will this hurt performance or hurt the motor or valvetrain in any way?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
it extends fully and does not act like a hydraulic anymore..usually become very noisy.

Standard way that we used to set chevy hydraulics was to loosen the adjusting nut until the lifter suddenly began to make a loud noise and then tighten it back about a 1/4 turn. This would give maximum rpm before float.

If yours is not making noise, then I think I would assume that it is okay.

I am sure someone will correct me if I have miscontrued the facts too much.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts