Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Buick related but I thought someone may know. How hard is it to change just the compressor clutch? Does the system have to be charged again?

On the ball joint thing... On a Cavalier it appears the lower joint is pressed in somehow. Is there a tool for taking them out and putting them in?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
takes a puller...system does not have to be recharged unless the front seal is gone...you will know this is a problem because you will see the oil leak.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve! Is the clutch just bolted on with a couple of bolts?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think there is only one in the middle..but, it's pressed on...auto store probably has a puller you can use.

Lots change the compressor these days along with a clutch because they figure if the clutch is gone, the compressor must be on its last legs due to age as well

·
Now what?
461 Posts
CallMeMud said:
On the ball joint thing... On a Cavalier it appears the lower joint is pressed in somehow. Is there a tool for taking them out and putting them in?
Yes. They can be rented from Autozone for "free". Just pay for the tool with a credit card, use it, return it and they credit your account back.

Ball joint press

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info! The compressor blows ice but the pulley doesn't free-wheel when the A/C is off. Think I should still do both? Kind of sucks since I just dumped $20.00 in 134A to get it working good. :(

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If it really blows cold, I would probably hope the compressor is not in bad shape...and just do the clutch myself....

I am not sure which compressor you are doing, and, there is more than one puller, but, I am sure you can borrow one from the store....should not be a big job.

Sometimes, the hardest part is popping the nut loose. They do make a tool for holding the clutch so it cannot turn.

The R4 compressor like on the regal is easy...once you get the nut off, screw the puller into the clutch..hold it with a wrench and then turn the center bolt and back the clutch off.

On the ball joints, he gave you the answer...only possible problem that I have encountered is that sometimes the pockets are a bit worn or stretched, and an oversize balljoint is required when going back together...not sure how you are supposed to know this, but, I found out when I jacked the car up the control arm and the new ball joint moved down out of the pocket some.. :dunno:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Ball joints held on with three big rivets. No tool needed. Drill them out or grind them off. New joints come with bolts.

Its almost a given if you have to replace a clutch than the seal is leaking. You'll be money ahead by replacing the compressor.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
lower ball joints are rivited? I don't know anything about Cavaliers :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If the compressor clutch won't disengage, did you try with the clutch connector unplugged? Might just be electrical, hard to say from what you've posted. The ball joints are riveted as stated above.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Steve Wood said:
lower ball joints are rivited? I don't know anything about Cavaliers :)
The real kicker is that the control arms themselves are just two stamped steel pieces spot welded together in a couple of places.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed that when the guy threw them up on the counter. I was like what is that. He said the stockers have rivets that you have to remove and the new ones come with bolts. He also said I don't need a kit and that they should pop out. Maybe a hammer though since they are kind of interference fitted?
The clutch spins good and all but every once in a while drags making a squeal noise. I found a good deal on complete compressor with clutch, new receiver/dryer, orifice tube and oil for $215.00 shipped. Just the clutch is $112.00 so what the hay. It's my Daughter's first car and she needs A/C :yup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts