Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering installing a QA1 set up from UMI because I have lowered my 87 GN with Bell Tech spindles and the ride is a little soft for my taste.........I like the ride height and don't want to increase it with new stock springs.....What is the difference in the
big block and small block set up UMI sells....I am inclined to go with the big block springs for a stiffer ride. Anyone on the board have a coilover suspension on your G body?

Thanks guys,

Woody

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yup, just did that! I used Belltech 2" drop spindles BMR upper & lower control arms and QA1 coil overs (Big block springs) If you used the small block ones you would never get the wheels off the fenders!

Stuart

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have the QA1's with the stock spindles, and had to cut the springs to get the height ride (in addition to using all the C/O adjustment). What I like about the double adj, upper arms is being able to crank in allot of caster.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey! Stuie

How does that other caliper in your last pic mount up?
does that improve braking any?

Nice! that is so sexy,
just had to harass you.......

thanks
cruzn57

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out SC&C (www.scandc.com) :headbang: . I'm getting the Varishock coilovers from them with the Spohn lower and their stage II upper arms with the tall ball joints. The Varishock is a true coilover vs the QA1's hybrid design. It won't side load the shock the way the QA1 does (although slight). Mark contacted Chris Alston and Spohn to coordinate slight changes to the Spohn lower to allow for about 3" of ride height adjustment. They are going to lower the lower attatchment point to allow for more travel and add one or two more mounting holes(for the shock) as well. The additional mounting points will allow the serious (not me) people a little more adjustment to the spring rate. The Varishocks are a constant rate vs the QA1's progressive rate and instead of having to choose between just BB & SB there is a LARGE number of spring rates that you can choose from so you get what you need (or want). Give Mark a call before you buy. He sells QA1 as well.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Stuie said:
Yup, just did that! I used Belltech 2" drop spindles BMR upper & lower control arms and QA1 coil overs (Big block springs) If you used the small block ones you would never get the wheels off the fenders!

Stuart
Stuart, When you dropped the front by 2", how did you compensate in the rear?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I haven't done anything with the rear yet, I wanted to see how it sat first.
Also after 20 yrs I'm wondering how much the original springs have sagged. I'd like to find someone who has installed 1 1/2 lowering springs to get the height from ground to wheel trim. I guess the sure fire way would be to install coil overs in the rear also :D

Stuart

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice! that is so sexy,
just had to harass you.......

thanks
cruzn57

Hey speaken of sexy, Stu in the second pic are those your new sweat pants with the hot pink stripe down the side you were telling me about?
Dave :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Stuie said:
Also after 20 yrs I'm wondering how much the original springs have sagged. I'd like to find someone who has installed 1 1/2 lowering springs to get the height from ground to wheel trim. I guess the sure fire way would be to install coil overs in the rear also
Yep, installing rears is the only way to fly.
Then you can take the car to a chassis shop, and have them set the corner weights........

Here's what my set-up looks like.

http://home.woh.rr.com/brucesgn/minitubs/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts