Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in order to put the cal pack into open loop, one removes the calibration chip, turns the ignition on for 20 seconds (1 second?) turn off, insert the cal. chip and you are good to go.

Apparently this is just for the idle mode?

I want to run open loop all the time. Is this how it is done?

What about the other chip? Do I need to remove it in the same fasion?

Thanks, I lost the directions to mine....

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
What version of Extender chip do you have? The open loop patches are in the Extender chip, not the Translator.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The version I have is 2 years old (Gees you ask [/]tough questions[/I]! :) )

BB burned mine for alchy, tho I see it is a bit less aggressive timing-wise than the one I have.

Here is what I got from the other board. I would have gone to Ramchargers, but I didn't think they would devote the space to instructions.

Instructions are:
_______________Loop Control_______________________

Normal Closed Loop: This is the default mode, the chip will run this way when installed. The chip will stay closed loop at idle.

Open Loop at Idle: This feature is different than previous implementations. It will make the idle smoother and more tolerant of bad O2 sensors. Once this feature is activated, the idle fuel control is always open loop using previously learned data (unless the ECM is reset).

To activate Open Loop Idle:
1. Turn the engine off
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Unplug the CalPak (the little chip next to the Extender chip inside the ECM access cover)
4. Start the engine and let it run for at least 10 seconds. (check engine light will turn on)
5. Turn the key off.
6. Wait 10 seconds.
7. Reinstall the CalPak.
8. Task Complete. The engine will run in open loop at idle using any previously learned data.

Full Time Open Loop: This feature will make the engine run in open loop at all times, previously learned data is retained. (Unless the ECM is reset). The O2 sensor will still be read and displayed on scan tools but is not used for fuel delivery calculations. The O2 sensor can be removed completely without setting any trouble codes.

To activate Full Time Open Loop:
1. Turn the engine off
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Unplug the Extender chip
4. Turn the key on, do not start the engine. (check engine light will FLASH QUICKLY)
5. Turn the key off.
6. Wait 10 seconds.
7. Reinstall the Extender.
8. Task Complete. The engine will run in open loop using previously learned data.

To reset BLOCK LEARN Values to 128 or to turn off the above described optional features unplug the ECM memory wire while the key is off. This is an orange wire near the battery (under the hood).

Ramchargers Link:

http://www.ramchargers.com/RamNews/Translator/extender_manual.htm

<small>[ March 29, 2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Turbo_Tim ]</small>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts