Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two of these break in the last two weeks. :rant:

I think they have changed to that chinese steel..

Attachments

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Is...

V6RACER said:
I have had two of these break in the last two weeks. :rant:

I think they have changed to that chinese steel..

1. The notch in the converter drive hub deep enough to clear the pump drive tangs?
2. The converter was not fully seated, and the tangs got "tangled up" with the slots, and when the trans/block bolts were drawn up,,,
3. The converter was not correctly spaced off of the flexplate?

Just the items I've seen cause this.....

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Buzzard said:
1. The notch in the converter drive hub deep enough to clear the pump drive tangs?
2. The converter was not fully seated, and the tangs got "tangled up" with the slots, and when the trans/block bolts were drawn up,,,
3. The converter was not correctly spaced off of the flexplate?

Just the items I've seen cause this.....
I didn't see the installation of the convertors, I just see the damage after. I'll have them double check when installing. One of these was five miles and the other had couple hundred.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Oh oh....

V6RACER said:
I didn't see the installation of the convertors, I just see the damage after. I'll have them double check when installing. One of these was five miles and the other had couple hundred.
Sounds like you built the trans, and the user put it in???
I had the SAME thing happen. [TWICE!]
I gave the user specific instructions, as to how to properly insert the verter, and how to check the plate clearance... One time it lasted a week, the next, upon installation on the engine. :rolleyes:
His bud told me he'd thrown the spacers I gave him, in the trash.....DOH...
Then he got nasty about "warranty"!! Ya, right. :yup: Meet my "little friend".. :gunner:

·
Sponsorship Needed
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Buzzard said:
Sounds like you built the trans, and the user put it in???
I had the SAME thing happen. [TWICE!]
I gave the user specific instructions, as to how to properly insert the verter, and how to check the plate clearance... One time it lasted a week, the next, upon installation on the engine. :rolleyes:
His bud told me he'd thrown the spacers I gave him, in the trash.....DOH...
Then he got nasty about "warranty"!! Ya, right. :yup: Meet my "little friend".. :gunner:

No, these are two totally different transmissions. Just so happens they both had low miles on them whe this happened. In ten years, I have not had this issue with rotors until now. One of the trannys was built by me and another built by another knowledgable Buick tranny guy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
spacer were used

multiple cars running the same converter & each installation was done & done by buick mechanics. Not some jiffy lube or wack trans shop. First driveshafts, then transmissions, oil leaking exxon valdez with a turbo. I dont know what I see in these damn cars. :rant:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Double checking

Question: If I remember correctly the space between the flexplate and converter should be 1/8" to 3/16"?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just Checked The ATI Instructions.

william brophy said:
Question: If I remember correctly the space between the flexplate and converter should be 1/8" to 3/16"?
:6: Per ATI, Min. 1/16", Max. 3/16" distance between converter and flexplate. Had to check because of the thicker flexplate I just installed. :usa:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts