1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome aboard. Beachbum and i are always racing down at Shannonville. We both have 87 grand nationals. His is in the tens and I'm trying to get there. Looking forward to meeting you. Here's mine at the present.:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. Beachbum and i are always racing down at Shannonville. We both have 87 grand nationals. His is in the tens and I'm trying to get there. Looking forward to meeting you. Here's mine at the present.:cheers:

Hey it would be great to meet you guys, wow 10 seconds is crazy haha. Your gn is looking mean.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
1. Nice car!
2. What prompted the engine rebuild?
3. Is there a dent under the DS mirror?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
1. Nice car!
2. What prompted the engine rebuild?
3. Is there a dent under the DS mirror?

1. Thanks man!
2.I'm not quite sure but the engine was bored 20 over and was built. The previous owner also stated he had the car for 13 years and wanted motor work rather then paint. the car is alot quicker then stock. I'd say maybe he wanted the peice of mind of a rebuilt engine? either way the guy knew alot about TurboBuicks, I mentioned this site I dont think hes on here.
3.yes thats a dent.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side !
Car looks great......I really like that colour too.

Have you confirmed what turbo is on it & injector size? Also, would be a good idea to pull the chip to verify what is in the car too. (just be sure to disconnect the orange / ecm power connection behind the battery before you pull out the chip). There should be some markings on the back side of the chip that will verify what's in the car. If it's not a TurboTweak or one of Bob Bailey's Extender chip, I'd get that replaced & matched for your combo before you do much driving.
Congrats on your purchase.......

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats!
Beautiful car, all we need is to get rid of the road salt now.....
As 1KWIKSIX said, go over your combo and verify it's all matched.
Confirm it and then get a "spring tune up" on it. You can find the "spring tune" check list on one of the Turbo Buick forums, or if you're not up to it there are local guys like Bill "MoreBoost" to help ya out.
There's lots of knowledge on these forums so make sure to use it, better to ask than to waste your $$$ buying the wrong parts or breaking it.

Enjoy,

Mark

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the Dark Side !
Car looks great......I really like that colour too.

Have you confirmed what turbo is on it & injector size? Also, would be a good idea to pull the chip to verify what is in the car too. (just be sure to disconnect the orange / ecm power connection behind the battery before you pull out the chip). There should be some markings on the back side of the chip that will verify what's in the car. If it's not a TurboTweak or one of Bob Bailey's Extender chip, I'd get that replaced & matched for your combo before you do much driving.
Congrats on your purchase.......

Dave
I have already confimed that the correct chip is in the car the guy had just purchased the new 93 octane chip to match his new setup. Is there away to find the turbo size just by casting numbers or the brand. I cant recall what he said it was?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats!
Beautiful car, all we need is to get rid of the road salt now.....
As 1KWIKSIX said, go over your combo and verify it's all matched.
Confirm it and then get a "spring tune up" on it. You can find the "spring tune" check list on one of the Turbo Buick forums, or if you're not up to it there are local guys like Bill "MoreBoost" to help ya out.
There's lots of knowledge on these forums so make sure to use it, better to ask than to waste your $$$ buying the wrong parts or breaking it.

Enjoy,

Mark

Who would be willing to help me with the Spring tune up?? I've never done anything besides change the oil on my cutlass and replace the waterpump and thermostate.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

If you did a water pump then a spring tune up is probably easier.
Hardest part is the fuel filter if the lines are rusted. Other than that plugs, wires etc. are easy on these cars.
Start reading these 2 Very Important sites!!!! 2-3 times each!! :yup:
Turbo Regal Web Site
Vortex Buicks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing reading on all these sites for the past few years but now I'm really reading into it alot. My next purchase will be a Scanmaster from Gbodyparts.com unless someone has one forsale locally?

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Yes, spring cleaning is a must.

Go back down the street and pick the seller's brain again, this time take a pen and paper to write everything he says down. Get a copy of the receipt for the work done at National Performance, or at least what they claimed they did (and never take your car there for work - search this forum if you need reasons). There is ALWAYS a reason an engine is rebuilt and wear is one; however damage from abuse, neglect or being mislead by others are also possibilities.

Get a PowerLogger with the 3bar MAP sensor. You are young enough not to be scared off by its "voodoo" and should also be able to make the most out of it when it comes time to trouble shoot... and you will be trouble shooting believe us.

Once you are clear as to what was, or wasn't done, to that car we can help steer you down the right path. Also check out ihadav8.com as it is a much better forum for tech advice from some of the best minds in this community (not that the local guys can't provide quality support).

·
Registered
684 Posts
Congrats Spyder very nice, .....your gonna love that car!
Good move on the scan master for sure. I'm suprised the car didn't have one already. Do you know what fuel pump is in it? Hotwire?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Congrats Spyder very nice, .....your gonna love that car!
Good move on the scan master for sure. I'm suprised the car didn't have one already. Do you know what fuel pump is in it? Hotwire?
Good point about the Scanmaster!! Anyone with any knowledge has at minimum a Scanmaster. I wouldn't run one without it. The Power Logger is Great for recording what the car is doing at every RPM, shift point etc. :yup:

·
TURBOWTIE
588 Posts
Nice find. Love the T s int/ext colour combo.
Hard to see how severe the dent is but it might be able to pop out with the dent repair guys that can come to your house. A buddy had his miata hood done and is flawless now.
Congrats.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find. Love the T s int/ext colour combo.
Hard to see how severe the dent is but it might be able to pop out with the dent repair guys that can come to your house. A buddy had his miata hood done and is flawless now.
Congrats.
I'll just leave the dent until I'm ready to repaint the car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question for you vetrans. I'll be honest right now I havnt had time to go back to the owner to ask questions or hookup a Scanmaster. I've taken the car for my second spin of the year.

The car has a audio and knock gauge and I notice under WOT the light will go half green and sometimes red. So i lift right away, So what worries me is this would happen while racing and losing becuase of a knock lift. I'm wondering in simple terms is this a major issue??

Is there anyone that can help me tune the car. or hookup a powerlogger? :):6:

·
Registered
331 Posts
May or not be major.... most likely not, but you need to first check the basics.

Knock is usually caused by a lean condition, so you need to know if full voltage is getting to the pump. And what pump it has in it, and if it has a hotwire kit. The reason for the hotwire kit is because the factory wiring to the pump was not sufficient to carry the amperage/voltage to the pump properly.

There are many other things that can cause detonation in an engine as well.... Its safest to stay out of the gas until you have read the websites recommended by Just a Six?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts