Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok" Im down to these two IC's there basicly the same price? Has anyone read about the intercooler showdown featured in this Months GMHITECH mag. I dont get the mag but what were the results? What IC do ya think is the best? Will these IC's work well with my combo? Cooling system is not a problem" I have that handled.

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis**86GN, Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & matched intake'Jay's 62mm TB/upper, TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo, Manly SS valves, CC 206-206 cam' Postons headers, Orange stripe conv. THDP,2 1/2 exhaust' Hooker comp. mufflers' SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, SS MAF & translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
six of one, half dozen of the other...I prefer the [email protected] for better street cooling...don't pay attention to the mag tests....they usually ain't too scientific. I believe the pte might have a little bigger core...probably more like the V1.

Don't spend your money until you have it running to current ability.

I am dead against front mounts for street cars but you will believe the bs, anyway...

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I have the V2. I don't know which is better but The V2 installation was faster then they claim
No cutting, drilling or bending. All holes line up and all pipes,hoses,clamps and mounting bolts was included. Only time needed was to remove stock intercooler,scoop and fan. I had to relocate my trans cooler between X brace and radiator.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah, I have a v2, not the [email protected] LOL

Experience is why I am against it for the street! But, then, I live in a much hotter climate and probably have a lot more traffic jams.....I have spent more on cooling than on the intercooler...*g*

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Steve remember you are only a expert in Texas

100deg in Texas will always be different then 100deg in Calif.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

[This message has been edited by ULYCYC (edited January 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went with cottons FMIC, its still on the way.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No, I am just experienced. Some people learn from other's experiences and some have to learn on their own.

There is not a tenth difference between an oem location V4 and a Pte front mount until one is into the tens and the oem location normally gives better drivability and less compressor slam at part throttle with larger turbos...but...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have also considered the V4" But I keep hearing about fit problems" Im am also concerned that my dual fan setup may not work with it because of the size of the motors. I have also heard that it can also be damaged because its closer to the ground. Does anyone have a pic of a V4 installed? Is it wider or taller? or both?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Fits fine, it is taller....If Gary's rosewood car is at the shop, I will take a pic of it. It is taller....not sure about the width...not sure about the dual fans but we have a couple of the duals that MM sold out at the shop-I think they will fit okay...I will try to find them and check.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
My V4 fit fine, only hit the bottom of the scoop once on a rock, parking.

Didn't modify one bracket or anything...

Install took about 2 hours half the time getting the old one out in one piece and cutting new 2 1/2" hoses the right size.

I don't remember if all the hoses are in "perfect" alignment with the uppipe and turbo, but if they go on and fit well, it works for me.

You can always get rid of a V4 for close to cost in MHO. If you decide to upgrade in the future.

Then you can go for the big money IC and cooling system.

Just my .02, if you drive it regularly with the A/C get the V4.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Zap The thing you keep your Mountain Dew cold on the back seat is a intercooler.
" Boy its hot in here I have to go intercooler to get some Dew"

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well for sure Zap dont need a IC! He is always full of a bunch of hot air & likes it that way. however his car is full of the air temp outdoors cause it does'nt run. It has lost its hot air cause It was ZaP'ed up.
ZaP go back to the waiting room & sit in the corner! BAD ZAP BAD ZAP.

Now back to the topic" Steve Im waiting to see yours or someone else's pic's. Wont' dual cooling fans with the V2 keep it cool?
I do drive with AC & it is a street car.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have dual fans (Spals), CAS three pass radiator, overdrive pulley, and high flow water pump...this year I was never stuck in serious traffic for more than five minutes or so at a time and it never got over 193. Runs about 170 at 70 mph on a 100 deg day.

Gary has a PTE on one of his and five minutes would have him past 220 and he would have to turn his AC off. We put an Aluminum radiator, but not a three pass, on and that got it down to 205-210 and he could drive it but I don't think he ever sat for 15 minutes or so in it. We have the dual fans for MM for it plus the fittings to run a separate oil/tranny cooler.

Mine runs about ten degs hotter running the tranny thru the radiator, I noticed. I am going to replumb separate coolers on mine with a fan on the cooler as well.

I had the engine cooler under the front bumber behind the license plate but some duma$$ came into the driveway a bit too fast and the fan hit the pavement as they say.......

The front mount causes mine to surge like mad at part throttle at about three pounds of boost...aggravating when I am coming up an on ramp or trying to go thru traffic without giving it some gas.

If the V4 had been available and I knew then what I know now...it would have been V4 all the way....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What does the V4 come with? Scoop" brackets? Went to CAS site & theres still no pics & the ad on the V4 does'nt say what it includes.Am I going to have to by a peice of hose for the up pipe?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The V2 up pipe to the turbo is about 1 1/2" from the rad. core. Make sure you have a REAL low profile dual fan. I found a 10-15 deg increase with the V2 I still never hit 200deg yet. But NY temps only hit high 90s a few times a summer. And those days I drive the Park ave

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
The V4 comes with everything you need (hardware, brackets, scoop) except for longer hoses needes for the up-pipe. The V4 I purchased last year was an older model I got from ramchargers. I have decided to try it again but I purchased it from CAS this time. Tony said the new ones fit much better than the older ones. Should be here tomarow.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Joe, did Tony say he was enclosing a longer hose? I need to look at Gary's car as he did not complain about anything when putting it on and it fits well but I have never checked the hose.

Ed, it helps to shorten the pipe on the turbo end a bit so it can slide in further and give some clearance for the fans...I fought that battle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts