Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a PT51 turbo and told the guy i was using a stock downpipe. Well the puck on the stock elbow is WAY to small to cover the wastegate hole. What do I do to remedy this. I want to use my stock ported elbow as it has a fender dump on it. Thanks
Rob

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do I get a larger puck and is it easy to install?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Why don't you send it back and tell them they sent you one for a THDP instead of a stock size puck?

Call them first, Obviously.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Sounds like you bought it used and someone aleady ported the wastegate hole. I bought mine new from PTE and I use a stock elbow and it works fine.

You can contact Mike Smith as I know he was doing ported stock elbows with THDP Pucks in them.

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a new one, will call vendor today.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I believe they would be willing to swap it out. When I bought mine I specifically asked them not to port it out. I have since upgraded to a THDP and it is still working great with the stock sized hole.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
430 Posts
I also have PT51 with THDP.. when i ordered it from MM, I told them to port it out for the THDP. Works great. Spool is slow off the line because I still have the stock TC. a nice 9.5 vigilante 3000 should take care of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hold on!

You have a 51, a ported, stock elbow and a fender dump. How long will it be before you wish you had a larger hole and puck?

Maybe you're attacking the wrong problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave up on it. I'm getting a THDP instead and i'll just run it open from there. Jack Cotton explained why the fender dump won't work with the stock DP installed also. Basically becomes a big restriction due to air being pulled back thru the exh. and mixed w/ehx. from the turbo going thru the relatively small fender dump. Thanks for all your ideas and help.
Rob

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Darn, worked for years and now it does not work! Well, at any rate, it really was no big benefit from my experience. That Jack is a salesman huh?

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll second that!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts