Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PS V.C. is hitting heat shield or about 1/16" gap. Using HR DS engine mount and low mileage stock PS mount.

What clearance do you guys have?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Low mileage has nothing to do with holding up engine weight and oil soaking. Replace the other mount too. :sw:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The correct stock motor mounts are the Pioneers at the parts store. They don't require a torque strap, will not rattle your fillings out and best of all, they are $10 each. Once you start mixing and matching aftermarket motor mounts it's tough to say if you'll have clearance problems or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, installed new left & right motor mounts. I have a 7/16" gap between valve cover and A/C box WITHOUT heat shield. Is that pretty typical?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
that is about what I have on two cars that both have a poly mount on the driver's side...and, I have the heat shields in place.

Besides the mounts, this clearance is going to be affected by the condition of the body mounts and the alignment of the body with regard to the frame.

As the body mount cushions deteriorate, the body is going to shift and move a bit in relationship to the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I just put the frame back under car and think it needs some tweaking. Body is parallel to frame and alignment hole on DS is dead on but front of car seems a bit off. Also, when I measured the frame off the car, total length RH vs. LH sides was off about 3/16". I don't think the car was ever hit and no marks on frame from being pulled. I just assume it was in tolerance back in 1986.

I liked a quote from the other board "it's a 1986 Buick, not a Lexus!"

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.