Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up...or down?

Seeing more & more people selling them shortly after installing them...hmmm.

Are there some technical "propane-pecadilloes" we should yak about?

<small>[ June 29, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: NCBuickGN ]</small>

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Bah! Let them sell the kits and shell out its worth in expensive and quickly consumed alky.

I like my kit, it got me to my goal. And should take me further. yup I plan on running it with nitrous on my SS. 11s on 87 octane, nitrous and propane injection. headbang No expensive fuels... just an oxidizer. yup

I leave the phenomenon to the fact that most people a too stupid and too narrow minded to work with new concepts.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I agree Mike. If someone is selling the kit (I've only heard of one)it is a result of not tuning properly. Rising and falling temps can be dealt with through opening andclosong the feed valve. Just takes practice and experience to get the feel of it.

Propane, like alchy injection is proven to work. It is not a bandaid for a combination that has problems without it. These guys that are selling most definitely have other problems that need fixing...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
anyone run quick on propane yet?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got it...and one of these days might actually INSTALL it too!! Woooo! I got mine cheap from someone that was tired of the tuning. I like that alcohol is completely contained under the hood, but the propane is stealthy and in the long run, economical.

Here's a cheap kit...he's selling since he's in the 10's and can't get enough propane out of the tank at once...tank gets too cold and messes up the settings.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2421551772

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"The reason I am selling it is because my new chip is burned for race gas only. "

Wouldn't getting a new chip (for around 60.00)
for the propane set-up be easier/cheaper?

Or, does no one yet make a chip specifically for the characteristics inherent within the propane system,e.g., varying pressures & flow rates with temp. fluctuations?

Or, is propane just not doable for a sub-11 second car, as suggested above?

What is the fastest anyone has gone thus far using propane?
================================================

Thanks for your answers, postulations, explanations, theorems, & any/all helpful thoughts!

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
I purchased 5 US gallons last October and I have sold a quarter of that and I am still not running low on Alcohol. I do not drive my car daily but when I do drive it (even a short drive) I do use alcohol (I love boost)! I probably have 2 - 2.25 gallons left so I think alcohol will last a fairly long while.

Goodluck with whatever you run,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Regarding your question Steve - NO. Unless you call low 12s / high 11s fast?

I'd really like to give Propane a shot but so far I'm not impressed enough to spend my time (and money) to equal where I am with AI.

The guys that marketed the AI systems had times slips in their hands. Hasn't quite been the case with the Propane systems. Actually they sound like a big hassle thus far to me.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
So far, I am in concurrence. It will take me a long time to spend that much on alcohol, and I am still waiting on timeslips.

I am intrigued by the concept but, I am intrigued by lots of concepts...results are even more interesting. :)

·
6,603 Posts
zam70:
Since when was alcohol expensive?
Buy it in 55 gallon drums it REAL cheap...
How much was 55 galloooons?

I am willing to bet is a lot more than the $6 CDN I pay to have a couple of months worth of propane added to my dinky tank.

Steve, we have one gent up here who has gone easy 11.8s on a Pro-Pain kit. If someone would lend me a 60series turbo, some 50s and a hoist (to install a looser converter) I'd show you the same.

We have another car that should be following shortly here after on Pro-Pain.

It must be that we are Canadians, being open minded and all. Same sex marriages, legalized pot, topless women in public, nude beaches, 28 beers in a case, 12 beers in a can, and propane injection for our cars. yup canada

·
Registered
218 Posts
If someone would lend me a 60series turbo, some 50s and a hoist (to install a looser converter) I'd show you the same.
Geez, if I had ALL that on the Ltd it would dip into the 10s!!

As a matter of fact I have a TA60 on the bench but I may be a little short on injector to support it as I am currently running 43#r's. I have no intentions of replacing the good 'ole D5 TC though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yea Hank, your Ltd. is flying with those simple mods. what is the ancient Chinese secret to your tuning? wink

a GREAT reminder why we all love these cars... headbang headbang

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Hank does not buy magic parts. His drivetrain is solid and all the parts work together.

Some Canadians are more open minded than others. My son's car will push 11.8s on alky with a 44 and a stock intercooler. The only magic it has is ported heads.

Sometimes, those who profess to be open minded and modern are the most narrow minded of all. :)

Being old and cynical, I am far more impressed by what people do today than what they say they will do tomorrow. I guess I have used up my quota of tomorrows? :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree Steve. I'm just curious what exactly Hank uses as a baseline for numbers - EGT or 02's...combination of both or something else. I've yet to have a chance to do any tuning with this TE-44 and being the TA-49 is similar, I'm curious more than anything. Thanks in advance... :)

·
6,603 Posts
Steve Wood:
Some Canadians are more open minded than others. My son's car will push 11.8s on alky with a 44 and a stock intercooler. The only magic it has is ported heads.

Sometimes, those who profess to be open minded and modern are the most narrow minded of all. :)
Grampa Woods, tell us a story. yup

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
rather just put you on the trailer. :)

The old do, the young talk! Take your cap off, turn it around, put it on correctly, and take notes. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
How much was 55 galloooons?
I am willing to bet is a lot more than the $6 CDN I pay to have a couple of months worth of propane added to my dinky tank I run Methanol and it's right around $100.00 us
That works out to .55 CENTS a gallon...pretty cheap.
You can get it premixed W/lube and scent for $119.00.
STILL cheap. and it take ALONG time to use 55 gallons of the stuff as a supplemental system. (no, I don't have my AI system installed YET but we run Meth in the dragster.)

<small>[ June 30, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: zam70 ]</small>

·
Registered
169 Posts
Steve Wood:
rather just put you on the trailer. :)

The old do, the young talk! Take your cap off, turn it around, put it on correctly, and take notes. :D
HAHA...that's the funniest thing I've read all day

1 - 20 of 25 Posts