Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed .82 housing. Butt Dyno was very impressed. I must say, on the way to the track, I could tell a HUGE difference in overall power. Surprisingly, I could only feel a trace of increased lag. Hardly noticable if existant at all. Track numbers were not accurate due to my slipping transmission..

First Pass:
1.747 (4psi launch)
7.921 @ 87.43
12.432 @ 108.44

This seems very promising since boost was only 19psi, yet faster than last time out. Nothing else was changed since last time out, except for the housing.

The rest of the runs were crap. The more I got the car tuned and the more I increased the boost, the more the transmission slipped and flarred. Shifting at 5500rpm, slipping and flarring into 3rd ect..

Thanks to V6Racer (Jason White), I have a trans on the way, so I can make it to the Moroso Track Rental on Jan. 25th. Hats off to Jason for pulling some strings..

Comparing the stock .63 garrett piece to the .82 Turbonetics piece.

Notice Delta Gate provision on the Turbonetics housing.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited December 22, 2000).]

·
140 Posts
Hey Mike, glad to see you got it installed and running. Hows the black paint on the block-off holding up? Looks like you did a pretty nice job on the hole enlargement also.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the black paint is present and accounted for.

The wastegate hole was not a problem to enlarge. A 1" bit from Home Depot and patients at the drill press was all it took.

Now the newest problem is the stock style wastegate not being strong enough to keep the puck closed. I attribute this to much more surface area on the puck pushing it open. At the track, I tightened the rod as tight as I could (with a pair of pliers no less) and only mustered ~22psi. And yes.. the puck alignment is perfect.

Time for a heavy duty actuator..

Anyone seen my foot? Oh, it's in my mouth..

------------------

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:

Time for a heavy duty actuator..

Mike:

FWIW, the few cars I've cal'd for w/the HD actuator, change the boost PW to ~47% for ~21-22psi. Just a heads up to save some trial and error.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up Jim. I am however using the MaxEffort, in which the wg solenoid is completely unplugged. I will be using the spring pressure only, and I don't think the stock wg is strong enough.

I have a HD actuator for a TE-51. I just need to grind off the special bracket and turn it back into the stock style bracket..

Thanks for your help.

------------------

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Mike...
Glad to see you're making progress...Also that you didn't notice much of a lag increase. (like I said I don't remember my dad's car having a problem with lag either) Always interesting to watch whatever the latest thing you're playing around with is because you take a very systematic approach and don't change 10 things at once...

Good luck with the trans..

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Habitual Line Stepper
401 Posts
hey mike---how does a guy tell an hd actuator from a regular one? reason being,i've got one that came off of my ta-60 that i don't need (deltagate) and if you or anyone else needs it i'd be willing to part with it cheap.hell,for that matter if anyone can solve my problem(see "no spark" post) you can have the friggin thing!!!

lemme know.

later,sean

------------------
84gn,spearco fmic,ta-60,ported tb,lee thompson headers/3"dp/deltagate,42.5#inj.,mm chip,87 ecm,trans+,3"maf,3"maf pipe,v8 radiator/electric fan,kb ramair,fiberglass bumpers,turbolink,hotwired walbro 340,accufab fpr,new valvesprings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts