Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a groan coming from my powermaster unit everytime I depress the brake pedal. The groan sometimes lasts for a few seconds after I release the pedal. The groan sounds like a dry power steering pump , in fact I`ve had a couple of friends suggest that my power steering pump sounded like it needed fluid. The noise is definately coming from the powermaster. The brakes seem to be working fine.

Any ideas as to what I need to do or replace.
I`ve never worked on this type of brake system before, at least the electronic part.

Thanks!

------------------
George, in Alberta

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like your hydraulic booster pump might be going south.Have someone apply the brakes, and with the hood up, listen to the pump,if it sounds ratty, it probably is.It should make a short higher pitched whine or cheep when the pump cycles a groan or moan usually means that the pump motor or pumping element is worn or galled internally.You might want to check the fluid in the master first if it looks grungy[be sure to bleed the accumulator first to get as much of the garbage out of the booster circuit as you can].Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes my powermaster was making the same noise and I checked the fluid and it was milky looking on just one side...got all of that gunk out and put new fluid in...been working ok so far..but this the "POWERMASTER" we're talking about.

------------------

G

·
Mine made noises similar to that and I fixed it by putting on a new accumulater. I don't know if that's it for you but it might be worht trying.

------------------
Clayton
87 GN: 307FP hotwired, adj FPR, Tomka Cold air kit, Stock turbo, injectors and IC,MM 3"DP, Red's 93 street and Lubrant 110 race chips
Turbolink with boost sensing, Nitto DR's on stock rims
Best time: 12.51 @ 109.18 mph, 1.83 60' @ 20lbs boost

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I`ll check for contaminated fluid first, and then try the accumulator.

Can you say .... vacuum conversion ?

------------------
George, in Alberta

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your pump is running each time you depress your pedal, that is a sign that your acc. ball is bad.
Your pump should only run every 2 to 5 depressions.

My 2 cents
Adam

------------------

·
Registered
430 Posts
with the ignition off engine off, my powermaster makes the same whining chirpy noise at the end of the cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts