Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would start by checking power steering fluid level.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the fluid level its perfect. Then i took the car for a ride and no longer then 2 mintues the noise stopped completly. I started it again later after it cooled down and no noise. I guess it wasn't getting enough fluid when it started.

Could that hurt the pump over time??

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Siphon out as much of the old fluid you can. Then refill with fresh fluid and try. I would do this first before condemning the pump.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
56 Posts
believe it or not i had the same problem i checked everything that had to do with the steering and it wasn't that at at all, it was the upper radiator hose, it lekas right onto the belt and once the belt gets wet the power steering cuts right off, so make sure you not leakin from that upper radiator hose, sometimes when i go through a big puddle and it gets wet it will cut off also

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lucas make a power steering additive that some claim quiets older pumps down. It's a cheap fix if the other suggestions don't work, before replacing the pump. I was at a garage and saw a mechanic friend add to an old Caddy with a noisy pump and it silenced it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I thofught the majority of the early reservoirs were changed out on a recall? Dealer changed mine without me asking. Not sure if it was a recall or simply a technical service bulletin.

Removing as much fluid as possible and refilling with fresh fluid will often help a whining pump for awhile.....ultimately replacement is the final solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.