Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS pump has been noisy for the past couple of seasons....only when I am turning does it squeal.

Drove back from David 's(Just a Six) place yesterday and as I was backing into my driveway, thought I'd pop the hood to take another look. Well, to my surprise, the PS fluid was boiling over & out the top breather hole on the cap.
When I opened the cap on the reservoir the fluid level is up to the top line, however fluid looked a little "brown" in colour. Could see some evidence of aeration (small bubbles) .

Not sure what has to be done to rectify things, but I've done a bit of thread searching here & on the other boards & will verify a few things:

1) verify if I have the updated PS reservoir which places the two lines directly in line & beside each other vs one on top of each other which I've read leads to squealing PS pumps
2) will verify that both the PS reservoir line & PS return line are not kinked or any holes present

Can anyone help with suggestions from this point on.

I don't like throwing parts on that aren't really needed as I can throw a new PS pump and new PS power pressure line on but want to make sure I rule out
these others first before spending more money needlessly on the car.

Been down this road before? Please share your experiences / suggestions with me as I'm all ears.

Thanks,
:cheers:
dave

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
Do you use ATF or PS fluid? My buddy swears ATF is fine, but it does say PS fluid only on the lid. I only use PS fluid myself.

Have you flushed the fluid? I remove the return line to the reservoir, use a tube and extend it to a bucket. Then blank off the line at the reservoir. Put the car on stands, fill the reservoir, start it for a few seconds while turning the wheels back and forth. Then fill to the top and repeat a few times. Then put back together, refill and run it for a while. Repeat a few times until the fluid looks nice and clean.

This has helped my noisy pumps in the past.

Good luck, Mark

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noisy PS pump

Do you use ATF or PS fluid? My buddy swears ATF is fine, but it does say PS fluid only on the lid. I only use PS fluid myself.

Have you flushed the fluid? I remove the return line to the reservoir, use a tube and extend it to a bucket. Then blank off the line at the reservoir. Put the car on stands, fill the reservoir, start it for a few seconds while turning the wheels back and forth. Then fill to the top and repeat a few times. Then put back together, refill and run it for a while. Repeat a few times until the fluid looks nice and clean.

This has helped my noisy pumps in the past.

Good luck, Mark
Not sure what's in there Mark, because I've never changed it out since I bought the car .
I'll follow your suggestions....thanks....much appreciated.

Let ya know how it worked out.

cheers!
dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Dave,
Just curious, is the fluid actually overheating? Are there any sources of heat near the pump or steering box? I've never heard of this problem on these cars before, but I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the layout of the power steering system on the turbo Regal. Its my understanding that the synthetic power steering fluid has a higher heat capability that the standard product, for what its worth.

·
Jedi Motorsports
128 Posts
If it says ps fluid only use ps fluid. ATF can wreck pumps over time. However some companies do use ATF but there pumps are built to handle it.

I made the mistake of using ATF in my skyline and I wrecked the rack and pinion.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS Pump

I think I have a pump here if you need one. I will have to look around for sure.:sw:

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

Will try flushing / draining the lines & see how it works & let ya know.
Thanks for the offer...much appreciated.

dave

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks Kevin,

Will try flushing / draining the lines & see how it works & let ya know.
Thanks for the offer...much appreciated.

dave
Anytime, I am not a believer of a mechanic in a can but in the fleet I looked after the Lucas ps sealer/lube was an amazing product. It would stop sector shaft seals from leaking on GM steering boxes:yup:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated 86-87 power steering fluid reservoir?

Anytime, I am not a believer of a mechanic in a can but in the fleet I looked after the Lucas ps sealer/lube was an amazing product. It would stop sector shaft seals from leaking on GM steering boxes:yup:

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll be sure to give it a try!

I'm also looking for a PS fluid reservoir (left hand thread cap) for 86-87 car.
These have both nipples for the lines located on the front parallel to each other vs the older style which have them stacked one on top of the other.

Would you happen to have one of these?

thanks

dave

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think I have a 86 style,if my old age is correct there is a difference from 86 to 87.:sw: Give me a call if I can help. I would be happy to trade some of my junk for some of yours:yup:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS Fluid Reservoir

I think I have a 86 style,if my old age is correct there is a difference from 86 to 87.:sw: Give me a call if I can help. I would be happy to trade some of my junk for some of yours:yup:

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.....will give you a call tomorrow.

dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.