Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know for sure what to look for in a junk yard so I can get a power drivers seat assembly? Surely this was a common piece in the GM line up..

Anyone? Thanks.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
mid size GM 81-88

------------------

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
Anyone know for sure what to look for in a junk yard so I can get a power drivers seat assembly? Surely this was a common piece in the GM line up..
Mechanism is common, but the side trim with the controls are Buick only.

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can use the tracks from an 81-88 Cutlass Supreme. I know Chevy didn't offer the Monte Carlos with power buckets and I am not sure about the Grand Prixs. I must stress the tracks must be from a car with bucket seats and not any type of bench since those are dramatically different.
There are 2 basic track designs. GM vehicles up to and including 1986 use a track with 1 single motor which is a Hancock design. The 87- up use a Fisher design with 3 motors/solenoids. The 87-up is a much more difficult to find. If you get a set of tracks and need parts, the best place to look are the bench seat cars and cars like Cadillac Cimarrons since they used many of the same electrical parts.
My own 87 GN uses a track assembly from an 86 Cutlass Salon. If you find one in a yard, be prepared to bring a battery or other 12 volt power source since the seat must be operational to unbolt it from the floor. Make sure you grab the switch assembly as this is the same as the Buick unit and the wiring. The wires are orange and white. They run up the kick panel to another accessory block. You will probably have to unbolt the parking brake pedal. I was lucky enough to collect the plastic trim that houses the switch for the Buick power seat, but you can use one from a Cadillac Cimarron since these are identical except for the colors.
My power seat was installed in less than 30 minutes. It is a complete bolt on the tracks and plug in the harness. As a matter of fact if you can find 2 sets of tracks, you can make a passenger side power seat since the tracks swap side to side. This is what I am getting ready to do. I just have to locate a Cimarron with the power passenger seat to get the plastic trim. The best thing about the Cutlass tracks was that I paid like [email protected] for them at a U Pull it yard. Much better than the guys trying to get $300-up for their "GN" power tracks that are identical.

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT !!!!!!!!

These power seats are from a 93 Regency. They bolted right up to the floor pegs so I guess that means any 85 thru 90 somethin' interior will bolt into our cars. On a side note, I bought the ACC carpets at the Daytona show last year and was satisfied. My holes lined up perfect. So far, no fade. Only $100.

As far as the power seat controls, our door panels provide a spot that's made to order!

[This message has been edited by Red Regal T (edited January 18, 2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts