Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i just want to know who is useing power plates and what kind of diff did you notice after you installed it?If any.Still not convinced,It just seems like there is so much restriction in the design? :confused:

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I like mine. Can't offer back to back numbers as it was on the engine before I even started it. yup

But, I am sure that it has saved my ass and my headgaskets on a number of occasions... like when I ran out of propane at 20psi! eek!

It is well worth a try. :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you believe there is a restriction in the design, put a boost gauge below the plate and one above the plate. The restriction will cause the gauge below the plate to read less boost than the one above it.

All the eyeball engineers have claimed it is a restriction, but, if you will do the suggested test, you will read the same boost.

Then the same eyeball engineers decided track results, dyno tests, flow tests, and pressure drop tests don't mean anything and only egts on all six cylinders really meant anything. So Dave Bamford who is a tsm guy did all six cylinders and posted the results which showed that it does an excellent job of balancing egts.

Dave, by the way, ran 9.9s at bowling green with one in place. So did Jason Cramer who developed it.

The science has been proven in five different ways as well as back to back runs in front of thousands of people.

The boards are full of discussion on the subject. Still, people look at it and say it is a restriction without any form of measurement or proof.

Most run faster with it, some have reported no performance improvement but smoother running. As it evens out air distribution to all cylinders, I suspect that those that run on the rich side never see the improvement that it may afford with regard to additional power.

Others may have a worn cam, dirty injector, etc. that limits performance.

It seems to work as advertised for 80% of us, but, we may simply be the 80% that did not start out believing it is a restriction. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mike how are you?Mike what power plate did you go with?

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
i would have blown a headgasket a LONG time ago if it wasn't for the rjc powerplate...boost is not affected trust me...i am running 25 psi on my te-44 turbo with not a problem...had it up to 27 psi one time...no knock (dual nozzle alky system)

this plate works and it's WELL worth 60 bucks...sure beats paying a grand for a motor overhaul for all the stuff you break if you detonate!

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
humberto:
Hey Mike how are you?Mike what power plate did you go with?
I am doing well, Thank you. :)

I am running a REAL RJC Power Plate for the stock upper manifold, as are many of the guys in the GTA. If someone locally is trying to sell you one, a knock-off, don't bother. 1) It probably isn't machined correctly. 2) He doesn't include the 2 manifold gaskets.

HTH,

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Steve, if you don't want to call the power plate a "restriction", that's Ok, we can use another word. The power plate "impedes" (not restricts!) flow to the rear of the engine, so that all six cylinders can be filled evenly. Without the power plate, the rear cylinders get more air, and the front ones get less. There is higher cylinder pressure in the rear cylinders, when the larger amount of air is compressed, and the rear cylinders will start to knock before the front cylinders get close to making full power. The most "elegant" solution would be new intake/plenum, that filled all cylinders equally, but the power plate does the trick, until something better comes along. (I don't have one, by the way. Every time I do a "mod", it leads to more repairs, and I find more things that are no longer available.)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I guess it is in how you prefer to consider it. In some cases, more total air comes out the six individual ports than does without it.

I prefer to call it a redistribution plate as it does what you say but the total airflow to the engine is not reduced from the published numbers.

And, the area of the various holes is actually larger than the tb as I recall.

If we are going to call it a restrictor, then we should call the aftermarket plenums restrictors as well as they reduce air to the back and provide more to the front.

To me, a restriction causes less total flow and this is not our case. A sensitive pressure gauge above and below the plate would then reflect the change. Semantics, perhaps :)

Of course you are right about needing a better manifold, but, I suspect it would be next to impossible to design one that would actually do that and still fit under the hood and around the underhood obstacles.

The plate allows one to tune for all the cylinders rather than the last two. Therefore six cylinders determine the average per cylinder output rather than two cylinders which bring the average down.

For $60-70 bucks, it is a bargain. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't have any numbers to back it up. I bought my power plate before I had a scan tool. In fact, at the time, my car was stock except for fuel pump, FPR, Red 93 chip, test pipe, and power plate. I do know this: After I installed the power plate, the audible knock went away at 16 lbs. Sold.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK,OK im sold thanks for all the info guys,its time to order the power plate. :yup:Just talked to Jason Cramer and the part is on its way.

<small>[ August 22, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: humberto ]</small>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts