Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new rotors and pads on the fornt of my 87 the other day. I "pushed" the pistons back
into the calipers like you would on any other car, just like I have on my last two Buicks, and now I have a problem. The master cylinder sounds like it is hissing from under
the dash, almost like air is in the brake system???? This happens when the brake pedal is used a few times, then it takes a pretty good while for the pump to stop running. If I pull the brake pedal back with my left foot, it will silence the hissing until I relax the pedal again. If the system builds enough pressure (which it will, it is just taking a while, and had no problem before, and the accumulator is new) and shuts off the hissing will quit also. Whats going on??
I have tried to bleed the master cylinder at the master cylinder to see if it would help.
ANY SUGGESTIONS????

·
Registered
105 Posts
IMO Convert to vacuum brakes before that powermaster gives out.

Geoff

------------------
1987 Buick Grand National
40#, KB Adj. FPR, KB exhaust. KB ultimate chip, Walbro 340.

1985 Buick T-Type
Accufab Adj FPR, Walbro 340, Adj Wastgate, 9" K&N
Currently in pieces!

1985 Toyota 4x4 Ext-Cab
4" susp. lift w/33's Daily Driver.
Seeking a 22R turbo intake & exhaust.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Yea right. I guess if you can't get her to run right maybe you should pull the engine and replace it with a SBC??? Or maybe 302 Ford with a Vortek. Really??? Seriously, it sounds like you have a bad accumulator. Did you have this problem before you replaced the pads? Was this accumulator NEW?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Turbo Bill:
Yea right. I guess if you can't get her to run right maybe you should pull the engine and replace it with a SBC??? Or maybe 302 Ford with a Vortek. Really??? Seriously, it sounds like you have a bad accumulator. Did you have this problem before you replaced the pads? Was this accumulator NEW?

Gee, having a bad day are we???

I agree with the OPINION above to replace the PM, as it is not a question of "if" it will fail, but "when" and how many more times! Since used vac conversion parts cost less than an accumulator, not a bad sugestion.

However, to reply to the original post, agree, that the accumulator is the first place to start. I have removed a few accumulators, drained, shook out most of the fluid, and had them work for a short while again. [Or sometimes not?]

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Always a great idea to get brake parts from a junkyard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts