Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok- I did everything I could to be prepared to replace the power antenna on my 87 GN. I got a used unit from the boneyard; tested it to make sure it worked; got the install instructions of the gnturbo website; consulted the factory manuals. Started out ok. Got the five bolts out of the door and all the bolts inside the fender well and unter the hood (including the three bolts that hold the hood down which no one said were holding the hood in alignment). The
F#$%ing fender still wouldn't move so I took off some more bolts and pulled on the bottom of the fender. The fender was popped abd came lose a little but only to the extent that it slipped out of place and popped on top of the door scraping the paint on both the fender and the door. Yes I had tape and paper on both the door and fender. Something told me to stop but noooooooooooooooooooooooo. I said that I will never learn to work on these cars unless I try. Things only got worse. The fender scraped more paint off the door popping in and out and the door got hung up on top of the fender and scraped more paint off of it. Unless you are an experienced body and fender person and know how to pull the entire inner fender pannel and fender off together you should farm this out. It's going to cost me $500 to repaint the door and fender and install the new antenna. Not worth it. If I can save someone the pain and agony of seeing a perfect paint job all F'ed up then the experience will be worth it.

The Bummed Out Jolly Roger I

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Not sure what you did, but I have done several of these and never experienced anything like you describe.

It's hard to envision what could have happened so I don't know how the fender got onto the door. Normally, I just loosen the bolts at the top so the the fender can pivot as I pull out on the bottom.

Sorry that you had just a bad experience, it sounds like it was spring loaded.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ya i know what your saying, ITs a bit of a pita doing that job.
I attempted it and stopped after really thinking about the frustration that ws already starting. I now have a fixed mast assembly on the gn....Pleased to announce i didnt lose any skin and didnt have to take anything for my temper...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts