Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this winter during my rebuild. Got car running this w/e finally!!!

I don't like the setup on the Poston pipe where it mates (or doesn't mate) to the stock turbo elbow.

The instuctions say use high-temp RTV, which I did. It baked it within minutes (during cam break in) then blew it out. Now it leaks.

Anyone else using one?

How did you seal it up?

Really makes me mad, as I had it ceramichromed and everything.

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
Been so long on mine I don't remember ...Isnt there a donut gasket at the DP to elbow connection???
Pretty sure there is or suppsoed to be

·
Scott
572 Posts
I just bought a two piece Poston downpipe. I have yet to start the car up with it but I can tell now I am going to have problems. I tightened the clamp where the two pieces mount as tight as i could get it, and it is still loose. I was reading those instrctions about running the DP straight to the exhaust housing with no gasket but surely it is going to leak there. I have a donout gasket for the connection looks like it would do the trick.

I am still debating on using the donout or not.

I think I could weld the two piece into one and still get it in and out of the car if needed.

Scott

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I guess all cars are different.
I had a poston style DP that sealed perfectly.
Sold it to Justasix and I think he had trouble getting it to seal.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
IIRC,that's the same setup as my old Eastern 2 piece S/S D/P.
The problem with sealing is the face of the stock elbow.
The pipe has a collar around it with two holes and the end of the stub is supposed to seal against it.

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
I’ve been running a Poston DP for about 4 years now. From the start I stuck a donut gasket in there. My issue with the DP was Poston provided you with two standard thread bolts when the factory turbo is tapped metric. So throw away the bolts and forget the sealer. If you do run a donut remember not to drive the bolts home. Just make them a little more than snug. That way you don’t bend the crap out of the flange and will allow expansion and contraction.

For a race car the Poston DP may be a paper weight, but for a driver IMO its a heck of a lot better than the stocker. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts