Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a nice 87 T here. I have to replace a head gasket. Luckily [so far] it blew straight out the side and didnt contaminate the oil or mix whatsoever. The boost signal line rotted and you know the rest.

Whats odd, the car has a houston pipe, and what looks like a TA 49 but has stock injectors and who knows for chip, I didn't check, I just did a compression test [the dead cyl was "0" lol, and one next to it 155 lol.. anyways if he is to keep this turbo it needs a minimum of blue tops. He is not a drag racer, I just want to set the car up on 15 pounds on a street chip for him after this is fixed so he can enjoy the car again.

Also if Dave S. has has a Scanmaster I could borrow for a few days when I get this thing running.. that would be kinda cool :sw: :confused:

So if any one has a set of blue tops or 009s kicking around and a something or other street chip shoot me a PM. I had to start this account because I couldn't post a thread with my orig user name. Thx

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh it has a stock regulator on it too so an adjustable one would be a cool if anyone has one of those kicking around as well.. I have a guage from my T Bird I can to tune the car and then put the schrader back. thx

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
Oh and at 15 lbs that stock regulator and injector ect will be fine. That 49 ain't flowin' any more air than a stock turbo at that boost level.

Get him to pony up for a new chip and it will run way better.

TurboTweak Home

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting it here today Mike so will know what chip.. I ran a 49 on your old car for a short time with stock injs and it needed a lot of fuel pressure on 15-16 psi or it would be so lean it had a bit of a pop at wot.. [pre wide band days but low 700/high 600 02s lol].

Guy from Amherstburg, its a white t with t tops. Nice car.

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the head gasket sure was blown. Sadly so is the TA 49. It has mega end play and can't go back in like it is... I think, for him he is best off finding a used working stock turbo, which will then match the stock injectors... it has a 237 regulator so I am guessing has a good fuel pump. Apparently the gentleman that owned it prior to this guy passed away but was friends with a George Brown who had a low 11 or 10 sec one, [on here?] who had done some work on it quite some time ago? Anyway, i'd just like to get him up and going again, he'd be happy with a 13.50 car.. hell just the car running well.. here are some pics.. it's a pretty nice car, fairly clean as well. American car.

Attachments

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, is there a top end gasket "kit" you can buy or am I going to have to order every single gasket separately.... looking on rock auto and the intake manifold gaskets are one set, the head gaskets another, then turbo gaskets, etc.....

Anyone got any parts numbers they might know off hand or a box lyin around LOL.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Steve,

For intake manifold I think you want a FelPro MS96033, about $40 - 45 at Napa.

I might have a set of head gaskets here that are like the stockers. I will look tomorrow and call you tomorrow night.

Might even have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Take care,

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's a real clean T I hope you can get her going again soon:6::yup:

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks YG, I will it's really just a matter of gaskets, and a stock turbo and some new pintle caps and o - rings for the injs and i'll have it running for him tip top.. shortblock was ok.. and the cyl where the head gasket popped is fine.

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this has switched up a little.. I am looking for a stock turbo and probably some stock to blue top injs....

more importantly is a working stock turbo.. from 86/87...

I see there is 3 billion views lol.. someone has to have a working stocker turbo...

Thanks alot.

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
Don't play around with used / questionable stuff. Get him to fire up the credit card and buy new. You'll end up in the middle of a cluster -f, when it goes bad.

You also have to figure out why that gasket blew like that. Don't want it coming back for another gasket in a month.

Of course you know that both sides should be done right? It's been detonating for a while. Talk him into it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't play around with used / questionable stuff. Get him to fire up the credit card and buy new. You'll end up in the middle of a cluster -f, when it goes bad.

You also have to figure out why that gasket blew like that. Don't want it coming back for another gasket in a month.

Of course you know that both sides should be done right? It's been detonating for a while. Talk him into it.
Steve, on the BOLD.

My first gasket blew from the small plastic vacuum check valve near the EGR Valve. It blew the diaphram in it and by the time I heard the knock it was too late. Check all those check and the EGR with a vacuum pump.

Good Luck.

Tim :sw:

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The gasket blew [I knew WHY before I got to the car] because the waste gate signal hose was not attached to the compressor nipple.. it rotted off and she over boosted.

MIke, BOTH gaskets have been replaced I wouldn't do it any other way. Annnnnnyay head decks are str8 and are back on, tq'd and I have the intake all scrubbed along with other top end parts, and I have some questions cause it's been a while... Edit - yes, I chase the head bolt threads lol.....

Question 1] - the valley pan gasket kit... it has the rubber ends.... should I use them and just dab some goo in the corners like it suggests, or just not use them and use a lot of rtv along the ends, install intake, tq it, and allow it to harden 24 hrs? I remember this being a thing... or not... 38 on weds gettin old..:sw:

Question 2] the v/c gaskets are just the cork.. I forget as well.. sillycone... or just tab them in and bolt them down w/o over tightening?

Turbo licker I will reply now, I haven't been on till now sorry!

Thanks a lot guys!

Attachments

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
I figured you would do that but just threw it out there.

Glad you know why it blew. :cool:

I would use the rubber ends, I hate silicon everywhere.

Don't forget to swear and hold your tongue just right when doing this job.

Lastly, don't be too quick to get it done, sucks forgetting something and having to start over.

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
LOL, I hear you. I'm lucky no one hid a camera in the garage for this.. it's been a while and i'm sure i'd be locked up somewhere in a white coat if someone were able to listen to my ranting. Infact not knowing why I was and just listening to it would be quite funny maybe install a cuss cam somewhere out there!

There was a lot wrong with the car.. the boost line for the w/g. The line going to the map sensor right where it connect TO the map has a huge rotten giant crack in it... the d/s header was cracked to hell. Turbo shot... I'm going to go over ever hose when it is assembled again and triple check.. the heads were kind of sludgy [sludge built up around the head bolt holes] which was odd because the motor's been redone what looks to be recent enough, pistons aren't stock.. the hone job looked meh...

That said, when it came here, considering it had 0 in one cyl and all these messed up lines... it would start and idle and not one single noise aside from the head gasket leaking... but it actually lol.. ran good and sounded tight as far as rattles and lifters etc...

I told him to set the boost low.. 14 - 15 psi and and cruise it have fun once in a while. I;m going to check the chip still and make sure it's not an older pitbull or something I think they had like 26* which is race chip ish.?

Edit - TURBOLICKER - PMs replied to, interested in the turbo for sure depending on price, thanks alot!

·
Scone Wizard
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update this thing's pretty much back together, just waiting on some 009s, and the TA 49 is being rebuilt by Evergreen Turbo in Florida for what sounds like about 350 bucks [it needed both new wheels]. The I install those, run all new vac connections, fill with new fluids and fire it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.