Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mighty Vac I can supply man-made boost with. I used this to set up my alchy. With the car running is their anyway to test the Hobbs to see where my on setpoint is? I never have time to look at the indicator light so short of having someone shotgun and scope it I can't tell. Today I had my TW set on 8 and was getting .750 on the SM2 with 0 knock when I got a backfire. Maybe it kicked on or I was going lean but I need to check. My last few blasts look like it is clearing my smoking problem up. Got nothing today after beating the crap out of it! I really dig the SMC alcohol and 20+ PSI on pump gas. TIA

·
Registered
250 Posts
why don't we pick a weekend i'll will come over to your garage and we can mess around with the cars. i well be gald to ride shotgun with you. and you said you had directscan right maybe can find whats wogn with my car. well pick a date and i'll see if i can make it down. i will aslo need some directions becasue me or my dad know where you were talking about later.
-Tim

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am headed to Cecil next Friday to race if you aren't doing anything. I think I have an ECM with stock drivers you can use that is modded for Direct Scan. I plan on getting the car ready the 3rd and 4th. Would love to really crank it up and put some race gas in but think I will just alchy it and stay conservative.

·
Registered
250 Posts
what do you think it will run like that i wish my car was running right i'm to have all my car fun in my daily driven mustang. Next friday i don't think i'm doing anything i think i'll be down.
-Tim

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It runs a bunch better than it did on the old motor and pump gas ([email protected]). I think 10.8 or 10.9 should be within reach.

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
crank up the boost and show me who's da man ....lol

really good luck with the new combo

hurry up and catch me this year cause I'm tore down now upgrading again but I'l be down for a while frown

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something happened to the trans/convertor. I am really not in the frame of mind to be pulling it again in such a short piece of time from the last mishap (broke drum) so it goes back to DelTrans for them to figure it out Monday. It pulls hard though Red's!! Seems like the Hyper pistons are holding up much better than a well built trans dunno

While I am down can someone explain to me a way to set up my Hobbs for the second pump without physically driving it with boost? I have a Mighty Vac that will go 16.5 PSI. I want to set it at about 15 PSI so I have it covered if I figure out the testing portion. Anyone????

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crazy

Could I use say an alternate 12VDC source like a battery charger or leads coming off the battery to supply power to the Hobbs then pump up the pressure until my indicator light comes on? Some brain on here has done this before....fess up yup

·
Registered
95 Posts
i set my second pump turn on point by hooking the pressure switch to my air compresser with a pressure regulater in line. i turn up the air to my desired boost turn on and ajust the pressure switch until the pump just turns on works every time.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car running though right? How about without actually having it running? Maybe their isn't a way not running :confused:

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
If you hooked the Hobbs switch up to a pressure source and put a multimeter set on ohms across the terminals, then you could bench set the Hobbs switch. When the multimeter shows 0.00 or continuity, the switch has closed it's contacts. Just look at the pressure source and see what it reads at the moment that happens. Then you will know what boost level activates the pump. I suppose the pump will have power going to it already and the Hobbs switch will provide the ground, correct?

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JohnLarkin:
If you hooked the Hobbs switch up to a pressure source and put a multimeter set on ohms across the terminals, then you could bench set the Hobbs switch. When the multimeter shows 0.00 or continuity, the switch has closed it's contacts. Just look at the pressure source and see what it reads at the moment that happens. Then you will know what boost level activates the pump. I suppose the pump will have power going to it already and the Hobbs switch will provide the ground, correct?
I used continuity to set it yesterday just as you describe. All set and ready to go at 15 PSI now. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts