Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a stock turbo, injectors, and IC...is there much point to port the heads and headers? I was reading that one guy prefers to port his stuff rather than raise the boost way up.

If it would be a good performance increase to port everything do any of you know how much that kind of work costs?

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It may not make much difference until into the lower half of the twelves would be my guess.

In general terms, yes it will help. The heads moreso than the headers. The engine is simply a big air pump and anything you can do to increase air flow, and reduce back pressure will assist the peak output of the engine.

Be forewarned that simply hogging out the ports may not produce the best results. Flow depends upon both area and velocity so there is a high degree of science/experience involved and a flow bench is required to optimize the job.

Having said that, probably 75% of the improvement comes from some fairly simply work in the pocket, etc.

Good iron heads generally are in the $1200-1400 range complete and done by someone that knows what he is doing.

That probably translates to $900?? if you furnish the heads. The 75% job probably costs about $500?? if you supply the heads.

I have not priced any lately so I may be a bit out of line. There is so much time involved in the process that it is hard to do right cheaply. Maybe some of the CNC shops do it cheaper?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I am just looking for a few more hp from the engine. I can run a 13.9 on a day like today 80 degrees with 75% humidity but of course I would like to be quicker. I have done the recipies for speed, all but tires and dual exhaust. One thing I have not done in change my filter canister over to a pipe with K&N.

I have a K&N in the stock filter box with the bottom half removed.

Any idea if putting on a metal pipe with 9" K&N would make much of a difference???

·
Registered
279 Posts
2 friends of mine have each gained approx. .2 and about 2mph by home porting the heads using stock valves.

GN : before-12.22, after: 11.96 @ 23psi
T-type: before 12.06, after 11.86 @ 21psi

Both have stock turbos, stock inj, stock IC.

Regards
KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, a pipe and K&N will help over what you have. A free flowing exhaust will also help.

Then it becomes a matter of good chip/gas and traction.

Alky is a alternative to chip/race gas. It is not as good but it is good

You would be knocking on the twelves with the above (exhaust, intake, tires, and race gas/race chip) and some tuning.

Cool air would be nice, too!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by Renthorin:
With a stock turbo, injectors, and IC...is there much point to port the heads and headers? I was reading that one guy prefers to port his stuff rather than raise the boost way up.

If it would be a good performance increase to port everything do any of you know how much that kind of work costs?

The point that nobody's addressed so far is that bolting things onto a good running motor is easier and cheaper than doing heads/cam, and will take you well into the 11s. If you've got to go into the motor, by all means, do the heads and cam, but if it's running well, IMO leave it alone!

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

1 - 9 of 9 Posts