Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could be the reasons that my motor is popping right around the 4200 rpm. mark. It does it under a load and free reving. Any help or insight would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would go with the coil pack as well.

·
Tattooed White Trash
1,162 Posts
Last time at the track, mine was popping at 5500 rpm. Changed wires, coil pack,etc. We finally made a pass with direct scan hooked up. And my alternator was crapping out after I hit 3rd gear(5500rpm) So it was shutting my fuel pump down to base pressure. I have a hood mounted guage and as soon as I hit 3rd, the fuel pressure dropped from 63 to 40 instantly. Thank God I let off every time.
Ray :6:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I have gone from running in the 10's to 11.80's. I will look into the coil and module. I believe I changed the module. My friend does most my work on the car for me. It is conected under the coil, if so I have changed it. I will look into the wires and alt. Thanks for the help. These things give ya lots of headache but man do they run when running correctly. :cheers:

·
Registered
429 Posts
8d7 gn said:
Thanks for the heads up! I have gone from running in the 10's to 11.80's. I will look into the coil and module. I believe I changed the module. My friend does most my work on the car for me. It is conected under the coil, if so I have changed it. I will look into the wires and alt. Thanks for the help. These things give ya lots of headache but man do they run when running correctly. :cheers:

Yep, module is under the coil. Coil is fastened to the top of the module. They are a team!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Now the questions. Where or who offers a high output alt? I changed the coil not the mod. although the module only has a couple hundred miles on it. Bought it new 2 years ago. Maybe it went bad? Will run the wires with an ohm meter to check for resistance. Have too much money in it to worry about cost of new alt so any insight would help. I will check for a fuel drop off when it happens just installed a new fuel isolator for in car gauge. Thanks a lot and will let you know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i am having this same problem! i changed my coil,ran a new ground from the module to the firewall... my f pressure is steady at 63-65 lbs w.o.t,my direct scan isnt in yet,but the problem got better... now its only intermittent...module is being changed tonight...checked for voltage from the alt... holding steady...my problem started with injector and chip swap....need to talk to eric if anyone hears from him i need a good chip. :headbang:
let me know what you find...thats what i have done so far...checked my plugs... and wires... fine....coil,checked and metered... read 11.65 for resistance.new one read 12.3,and a cheap duralast... read 8.0? yikes...
checked alt... and fuel,both fine..

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have had the same symptoms and it turned out to be old spark plugs. Put a fresh set of R43T's gapped at .032" and my popping problem went away completely.

Don't know if the alternator has anything to do with your problem, but here is a 200 AMP version

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Orlando I will pick one up by the end of the week. Once you step this far in there is no getting out. Whats a couple more hundred after the first $20K? There is no going back :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts