Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cleaning brake dust from inside of front T-Type rims I thought I'd polish them and then wax...to hopefully keep the buildup down and ease the cleaning next time...sounded like a good idea anyway :)

Used Mothers Aluminum polish on the interior of the rim and now it's nicely polished but about 50 shades darker than the nice shiny aluminum color it started out as. Don't like this new color.

Any suggestions to:
1) get the old color back
2) do what I wanted to do in the first place...but keep the shiny aluminum color?? Just regular wax??

Thanks, Bob

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
does it have clear coat on it?if not i use alum. acid on mine it turns them a clean dull alum.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is the mothers polish old or bad?

I used some mothers polish and my wheels turned out awesome.

A while later I did it again with the stuff from the same can and they looked like ASS. Turns out that when the polish sits, the stuff on the very top goes bad. I took the top layer of polish out of the can and threw it away and I used what was underneath and they looked great again.

Be sure to only do a small area at a time.

HTH

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Aluminum + Caustic base cleaner/ polish ==black//dark! Need non-caustic cleaner --or much more finger pressure!

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
try using 3M 39529 mag and aluminum polish and then use a polymer sealent..the black is usual and can be cleaned off with clean rags and the polish but you will have to work at it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts