Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all......new guy here. I bought a 1984 "hot-air" Grand National with a buddy of mine. We are brand new to the GN scene and have a few questions. First, the car was bought not running, so we're pulling the motor for possible re-build....how strong are the '84 bottom ends?...should we beef anything up? Also the turbo impeller threw some blades, so it will be re-built, or replaced....if so, what with?...(we want about 350-400 hp out of it.) We also have a Turbo-Motion intercooler kit for the car (good or poor?)....should it go on, or are there better ones? Any extra advice about the '84 model year would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance. Randy and Brian.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well no, we don't like pulling motors, but we do need to remove the heads to check for impeller debris damage, and replace the valve springs and cam....those metal chunks went somewhere. There's a huge oil leak somewhere on the oil pan. We'd also like to start this project out right by cleaning it up and re-sealing leaking gaskets. It would be a shame to put a lot of work into the top end just to remove it all to get at a head gasket. Like I said the car was purchased not running, so we don't know anythng about how it runs....it does crank though. What we do have is time and enthusiasm. Cheers. Randy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I beleive that esp has a front mount for the hot air calls, you might wanna call them. Its listed on their website, and i have dealt with them many times. their site is www.espperformance.com. I had an 85 t that i did work too, and it took me forever to get the thing to even hit the low 14's. it got stolen so i got an 87 we-4 that the engine is currently getting done on. Have fun with hotair.

------------------

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
1) stock engine should be good for 350-400 hp
2) check with jim haley at [email protected] for a turbo rebuild
3) leaking rear main seals are a common problem on these cars
4) any innercooler would be better than no cooler
suggestions
1) replace stock fuel pump with a a walbro 340
2) change to a 86/87 ecm so you can run better chips. You will have to change MAF senors and good ones are hard to find so you might want to get a translator and a ls1 MAF from Ramchargers.
3) put on a good exhaust system
4) get a good scan tool
5) get a 9 in k & n
6) run drag radials
7) run race gas or get an alky system

·
Kicking Butt Intercooled
73 Posts
Hey Randy. sounds like you have a good setup going on. However I would get a bigger turbo. The stock turbo will work with the Turbo Motion V2 intercooler kit, but will run out of steam at higher RPM's. This kit loves boost. I would recommend a Ta54 turbo with a 2800 stall convertor, 40 lb injectors, Walboro 307 FP, adjustable wastegate actuator, and an ATR or hooker exhaust system with 3" downpipe to start. The stock buick engine even hotair can handle good horsepower. I have talked to huys who run mid 12's or better with this setup I stated. The Turbo motion intake outflows even the 86/87 intercooled ones. And the intercooler has less restrictions in this kit. I would also switch to an 87 ecm. Then you can have a custom made chip to run with your combo. Hope these suggestions help you out, but I guarantee you'll see great results with that kit!

------------------
The Black Buick Knight.
'85 WH1 with the Grand National package added.
Ta33 turbo, 2.5"Uppipe, walboro 307 FP, martone Adj FP reg, Ultratrans rebuild with performance mods, 2800 stall convertor, Art Carr RV shift kit, Hooker 2.5" duel exhaust, no cat, no times. My Daily Driver!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Kicking Butt Intercooled
73 Posts
I don't have the kit myself however I have seen and heard the results. I plan on purchasing one after the xmas season. A 2800 stall would work with a Ta49 or a Ta54, but you can always upgrade later. I've seen some Ta54's go for cheap. Same with injectors. 44 lbs will get the job done but 55 would be more recommended. I guess it all depends on how much time you haven, and how much denerios you have to spend :p

------------------
The Black Buick Knight.
'85 WH1 with the Grand National package added.
Ta33 turbo, 2.5"Uppipe, walboro 307 FP, martone Adj FP reg, Ultratrans rebuild with performance mods, 2800 stall convertor, Art Carr RV shift kit, Hooker 2.5" duel exhaust, no cat, no times. My Daily Driver!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help! We already have ATR headers and Hooker exhaust, so I guess thats one in our favor. Is anyone running this Turbo Motion kit(it's the one with the front mount throttle body) on this forum.....if so, what's your set-up and how much power are you making? Also, when we remove the long-block for inspection, what should we replace? What cam works well with the '84, or does the stock one perform well enough? Special hello to the other Canadians on this site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts