Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I recently reset my Iac/ and tps trying to correct a low rpm hesitation/ stumble/ miss. Apparently that was not the problem and I can't figure out what it is. The problem is definately at its worst at startup. It will idle ok for a minute sometimes and then it gets irratic and usually dies if i dont give it gas. If i put it drive i can feel the low end miss until it warms up. Even then I still feel it if I get off the gas then back in it, like when taking a turn. Feel it everytime when leaving a light. It has died on me three times in the last month, always at a redlight. It almost feels like it's gasping for fuel, but pressure is good at 43 line off. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday, no change. Changed chips, no change. Jtesta chip is in it now.Car runs good and strong when winding her out. I also lifted the diaphram on the egr yesterday, and no change in idle. Isnt it supposed to bog or something? Could that be the problem? Any suggestion are greatly appreciated as I am quickly running out of ideas. Sorry so long and thanks for your time...Mark

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
See if you can apply a vacuum to the egr diaphram. does it hold it? Just want to know if the diaprham has a hole in it....car should definitely bog or blubber when you lift the diaphram with your finger when you lift it.

Make sure the egr is not leaking around the mounting gasket. It will run, maybe, but will not want to idle if it is leaking there. Try the old shot of carb cleaner around the base.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes Mark, pushing in on the diaphram should cause the engine to stumble a bit. There is also an egr filter just to the right (towards the windshield) of the egr valve. There is a black cover over it that just snaps on & off. This little filter, if it's clogged up, can also add to the stumble you're experiencing. You can probably just blow it out real good with compressed air. That has worked for me before.

Certainly sounds as though the egr is the problem. I would try fixing this first & go from there. I do know that an inoperative egr can cause an irratic idle.

I'm sure others can help you further. HTH

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys I am gonna focus on the egr and see what happens. I will try the shot of carb cleaner at the base, and also check the egr filter. Thanks for the ideas, this is driving me nuts...Mark

------------------
-Mark

87 GN Hard Top...Fresh motor, PT52, AC 9 " converter, Trans Brake, Tranny Cooler, Adj FPR, K&N, Adj wastegate, ESP coil pack, Poston headers, SMC Alky, ATR 3" exhaust, ATR 3" DP, 009's, Lubrant chip, 340 Walbro, tuned with Direct Scan.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I think it is the egr valve thats the problem here. Gonna go ahead and replace it, but looking at it WTF? Do you have to take the fuel rail off first to get to this thing? There must be an easier way, enlighten this idiot guys! This stuff is not easy in my apartment parking lot with a 12 piece walmart tool set lol

[This message has been edited by Mr_Nasty (edited May 14, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
One nut and a fork like on the thermostat neck according to the manual.

Nut is on the bottom of the egr on a stud into the intake.

Never had either of mine off however.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to advanced auto to get an egr valve, they looked it up and the one they suggested looked different. So I went to Autozone, they cross referenced it and came back with the same one which I went ahead and bought. It is a Wells EGR146, but like I said it looks different. Even the bottom is encased in metal, so you cant raise the diaphram. Also the plunger does not protrude down below the bracket like the original. Do you think this is the correct aftermarket egr, or should I go back to the dealer?? Once again, really not sure about this. Thanks a lot guys...Mark

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Steve, out here trying to hook this thing up. Where does the vacuum that connects to the egr vavle come from?? Does it need to be hooked up?? Thanks dude...Mark

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Steve I got everything hooked back up, but my car is still missing and idling bad. When I first start the car it runs rough for a couple of seconds, then smooths out and purrs like a kitten for about twenty seconds or so. Then all of a sudden it looses idle. It goes up, down, up, down over and over and will die if I don't give it fuel. The low end miss seems to be getting progressively worse. I drive it around and get it good and warm, I can pull back up in my parking lot and it will idle pretty well. The car is still running well when I get on it she pulls like mad. Driving around normal sucks with the missing, hesitation, and dying at red lights. Thats about the best I can describe it, and I dont know wtf is wrong with this damn thing. Any other ideas before I go out of my mind?? Thanks again guys...Mark

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Sounds like the chip goes into closed loop too early. Do you have delphi injectors in there by chance? (Delphi/MSD 37, 42, 50's?)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts