Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I'm wondering a lot about the noise these engines make at idle it almost sounds like a piston slap. Piston Slap should stop once the engine warms up? Plus It almost feels like the car doesn't build up boost fast.. at all. Could this mean a vacuum leak?

you shouldn't hear a piston slap when warm. Based on how your engine is running and your sucking air noise I think you have a vacuum leak or a bad fuel pressure regulator or both...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Justin,

Do a compression test of all cylinders, making sure the car is warmed up to operating temperature, remove all spark plugs & hold the throttle wide open...then crank for 5 or 6 strokes......there shouldn't be more than 10% variance between cylinder readings. My guess is that it may be anywhere from 150 range down to 135 range.

A compression test will give you a good idea of your engines condition, but throw in a
leak down test & it will tell you much more about the state of your engine.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Okay so I'm wondering a lot about the noise these engines make at idle it almost sounds like a piston slap. Piston Slap should stop once the engine warms up? Plus It almost feels like the car doesn't build up boost fast.. at all. Could this mean a vacuum leak?

you shouldn't hear a piston slap when warm. Based on how your engine is running and your sucking air noise I think you have a vacuum leak or a bad fuel pressure regulator or both...
What's your BLM's...with the engine at operating temperature...transmission in park.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get the numbers tomorrow. I'm starting to wonder if its the new oil I choose? Maybe its too think for the engine? 20-50 vr1? I know a lot of guy use this oil on here but with about 27-30 000 on the rebuild is it to thick?

Also would you hear Piston Slap while driving ?? Because the Engine is silky smooth while cruising or accelerating.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or maybe it could be the lifters? Are the Lifters know to be a little noisy from time to time?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I suspect a wiped cam or bad lifters. You said there was a loss in power as well correct?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect a wiped cam or bad lifters. You said there was a loss in power as well correct?
Well it doesn't build boost as fast as I'd like to but I suspect the wrong converter to the wrong turbo?

The car runs the same as always but it just makes the noise after I changed the oil. I'm guessing the fresh oil knocked out some old carbon deposits and is clogging the lifters a bit. I'm going to run Top engine cleaner.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What convertor is in the car? That TA49 doesn't require a big stall, should spool fairly quick.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What convertor is in the car? That TA49 doesn't require a big stall, should spool fairly quick.
its a TE44 Turbo And I'm not sure if the d5 converter is still in there or not. I'm leaning towards a exhaust leak.

·
Registered
783 Posts
its a TE44 Turbo And I'm not sure if the d5 converter is still in there or not.
They're almost identical turbos, slight differences (50 cfm more/ non stock appearing ect..). Stock convertor will spool it fine. That turbo can make 580hp, which is enough to get your Turbo Regal into the low 11's high 10's.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Justin,

Checking to see what convertor you have intalled is very easy.
Just put the car up on stands, then pull the transmission / torque convertor inspection cover (4 small bolts).....the factory D5 convertor will have D5-D5-D5-D5, etc, etc....all the way around the outer circumference of the torque convertor. Easy to see & identify.

My car had a D7 installed in it which is another GM 12" convertor commonly used in an normally aspirated 200-4r (ie Monte Carlo, etc). It only stalled out around 1600(ish) rpm & was the reason my car seemed slow to build boost.

Take a look, it will only take you a few minutes to verify.

dave

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0l5uQZAxWw]Turbo T Exhaust leak? - YouTube[/ame]

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak. So what's your BLM's at idle in Park?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could be an exhaust leak. So what's your BLM's at idle in Park?
Sorry still didn't get the numbers my computer was dickered today I need to buy a new computer battery. Isn't there always something? It seems like everything I do is 1 step forward 3 steps back. :(

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Sorry still didn't get the numbers my computer was dickered today I need to buy a new computer battery. Isn't there always something? It seems like everything I do is 1 step forward 3 steps back. :(
Got A SM?

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Get under/over the car and use your hand to check for exhaust leaks around all the joints. You'll feel the leaks. While you're under the car verify what convertor is in it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get under/over the car and use your hand to check for exhaust leaks around all the joints. You'll feel the leaks. While you're under the car verify what convertor is in it.
Ok , Tomorrow I'll do that. And no I don't have a SM.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a lot more thinking and research I'm pretty sure my valve lash need adjustment.

·
Registered
783 Posts
After a lot more thinking and research I'm pretty sure my valve lash need adjustment.
Can't adjust the lash on the stock rocker shafts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No clue then. The car still drives the same it always has. If a bearing was spun wouldn't the car drive like a piece of ****. Or any major failure wouldn't the car be smoking and what not? The car feels normal besides the noise?

I'm bringing it into a shop next week, I'll have it on the hoist to confirm the converter.

....Man if this engines shot holy **** a 350 is going in that thing so fast I wont even understand the word 3.8 turbo anymore.

Lmfao then after that its taking a trip to the crusher.

The Thing that pisses me off is I've never been hard on the engine at all. It started this bullshit after I put the vr-1 oil change

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.