Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What seems to be the piston selection for a stock daily driver that will probably see the track at most 3 times a year. I have an 87 GN with stock everything except for the hotwired fp, an adj fpr, and atr exhaust. It has 140K so after blowing a head gasket I decided to have the motor gone through. If I ever see the 12's I will be shocked. It's main job is to commute me 52 miles everyday. I am going to put the comp 206/206 cam, and some new 009's. The largest turbo it will see is the TA49 if the stocker every blows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the machine shop said the cylinders only needed to be taken 10 over. He said if I could find some OEM 10 over pistons, that would be best. Anyone know of someone having a set of these discontinued items?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
For your application and a little room to play, I recommend the Federal Hyper Pistons. Man, they are inexpensive and some vendors have claimed 600HP with them without detonation. Tough to beat for a driver.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good Luck getting rings for a 10 over piston. As stock as the car is, I would probably put stock pistons back in.

------------------

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like my JE pistons,little spendy though.
Almost too pretty to hide under cylinder heads

------------------
Reregistered once again.
Formerly Gnbill2

·
Registered
243 Posts
JE is also my piston of choice on performance rebuilds. If you went that route, I would buy a .005 over piston

------------------

·
Registered
243 Posts
.005 over rings are always easy to get. Nearly all file fit rings are going to be .005 over. That's why it's easy to get .020, .025, .030, .035, etc..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts